Skip to main content
Topic: 86 turbo coupe side moulding (Read 2440 times) previous topic - next topic

86 turbo coupe side moulding

when the original owner painted the car, he painted over (gloss black) the side mouldings then used red pinstripe tape to put the red accent back on....actually it didn't look too bad.

Wondering if soda blasting will take off this paint and not harm the original rubber trim?

Reply #1
Maybe? Depends on how it was painted.

If you remove the molding do it carefully. You can bend the bejesus out of the aluminum backing and destroy the molding if you're not careful.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
There are chemical paint strippers just for plastic parts. SEM 39913. I dislike using chemical paint strippers but they do work, sorta.

Reply #3
Ill try a small area, my soda guy recommended laquer thinner, will take the paint off, but flashes pretty quick so as not to damage plastic...sounds good??????

Reply #4
Laquer thinner most likely wont take off cured paint unless it is was really cheap, won't hurt to try.

Just last night I was working on my bumper covers and decided to try sand blasting the paint off in the hard to sand areas, did a small test spot and it worked fine. I used the suction blaster in my cabinet and kept the air pressure at 90 and was careful not to get to close. The paint and primer that were not factory came off pretty quick, the factory paint and primer took some time. Between the DA sander, blasting and some hand sanding I have at least 4 hours in getting the paint off the rear bumper.

There is really no quick fix, takes time and elbow grease. Chemical stripper, sanding by hand or a DA on larger areas, or possibly try a blaster, those are about it. If you get them down to bare plastic make sure to use a plastic primer adhesion promoter on them first. Sanding on plastic tends to tear it up a little bit so you may want to spray them with primer surface with flex add and re-sand them before paint.