Skip to main content
Topic: "High Line" (TC style) door panel pull strap cover differences (Read 1802 times) previous topic - next topic

"High Line" (TC style) door panel pull strap cover differences

I've been asked a few times to explain this out, so since I have a minute:

1987-1988 "high line" (Turbo Coupe style) door panels

The pull straps have "clips", and they are different for 87 and 88 (I would *assume* the 85 and 86's are like the 87, but I've only ever owned 83, 84, 87, and 88 TC's).

The "87" style is a 1-piece cover that "snaps" into place on the pull handle. They came from the factory with the outer edges painted silver. The 1-piece thing is a misnomer though, as the pull handle has a plastic piece riveted to it for the clip to snap on to. The 88 pull handles do not have this.

The "88" style uses 2 visible pieces. The back piece is chrome plated and riveted to the pull handle. It is *VERY* weak and breaks easily. The actual color-coded clip then snaps into this piece, giving a "higher quality" look then the "87" style.

These can be swapped back and forth, but pay attention! The "87" style clips have to be used in conjunction with the special hidden backing pieces. If you do not have those pieces, they will NOT work, as there is nothing to clip to. The "88" style of course needs both pieces as well, AND if your handles do have the "87" style back piece, it needs to be removed (drill out the rivets so you can rivet on the chrome pieces).

Pictures are below. Any questions?

Pic 1 shows (from left to right) an "87" clip, an "88" clip, an "88" backing piece, and a completed "88" setup.

Pic 2 shows (from left to right) an "88" backing piece, an "88" clip, and an "87" clip.

Pic 3 shows (from left to right) an "88" door pull, and an "87" door pull with the correct backing piece still riveted on.

Reply #1
Michael , The clips you sold me for my 85cougar ls were ones that just snapped right on don't know what year T-bird they came off of,

Reply #2
They came out of an 87. So my guess should be correct, that 85-87 are the same.

Reply #3
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;186746
that 85-87 are the same.

yes they are
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #4
So 88 style=rare?

My 88 T-bird still has 'em all intact :banana:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Yes, 88 style = rare to find not busted. I'm trying to make the chrome piece out of metal though...

Reply #6
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;186769
Yes, 88 style = rare to find not busted. I'm trying to make the chrome piece out of metal though...

very much interested.....

Reply #7
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;186769

Really? That would be sweet incase I ever break one:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Michael, PM sent

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]