Skip to main content
Topic: 5-Lug finally done right. (Read 4855 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 5-Lug finally done right.

Reply #15
It might be worth trying with the Bullitt wheels. I'm assuming that you would be using the tires off of your Fusion wheels, and that .5" difference in wheel width might change the shape of the sidewall of the tire. Even then, 1mm shouldn't hurt you too much.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #16
Maybe not now that I've gotten enough camber to clear the front fender lip.  I'm not particularly attached to the Fusion wheels, they were just easy 17" 5x4.5 wheels to scrounge up when I was working at the dealer.

Reply #17
I just ran out and put eyes on my car since I'm fairly low.

The 96-04 spindles add 5mm more track width per side over my 94-95 spindles. I could probably get away with an additional 5mm and I'm only running like .8 degree negative camber. I don't know how low you are, but I'm at 25.25" to the top of the fender arch.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #18
Since I think I've got the front about right, I've decided to get some extended studs for the rear, and use smaller 1/2" spacers.  I'll deal with the issue of wheels when my budget recovers.  I put 2 grand into this project, and I can't absorb the the cost of wheels (or freight).  I just need to not destroy these tires.  The first day after the job, before I rolled the rear fenders, I shaved cowboy fringe off the sidewall of the left rear.  Had to pick it all off.

Reply #19
I kept browsing Facebook Marketplace and lucked out with my wheels. A dude had them listed for 200 and no one showed any interest. He later listed them for 100 and I stared at them for almost 2 weeks. He still had them and I came home with some SN95 wheels for 100 bucks.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #20
I just ran out and put eyes on my car since I'm fairly low.

The 96-04 spindles add 5mm more track width per side over my 94-95 spindles. I could probably get away with an additional 5mm and I'm only running like .8 degree negative camber. I don't know how low you are, but I'm at 25.25" to the top of the fender arch.
Are you more, or less lowered than me?

Reply #21
It's really hard to say based on pictures. I think I might be slightly lower. I don't have a pic of a really comparable angle. These might show it. If you get a moment, try measuring from the ground, to the top of the wheel arch. I always measure right through the center of the tire. I'm at 25.25" in the front and about 25.5" in the rear.

Those are probably the best I have to show the lowness.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #22
Mission accomplished. Narrowing the rear track by 1 inch overall has restored the track width, and by proxy, tire clearance I had before I got started.  All is now well.

Reply #23
Update: I can now brake hard enough to put the front tires into the fender liners, and front rubbing, though less, is still a problem. 
Maybe some new struts would resist bound better enough to help with that, and I'll see how much I can machine off the front spacers before the center bore becomes a problem.

Reply #24
Welcome to the world of py, stock Fox-chassis suspension dynamics.

Research "anti-dive" options.

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #26
My (performance) knowledge/info is getting kind of dated, honestly.

One of the bigger problems with the stock Fox rear suspension is the lack of "anti-lift". Under hard braking the rise rate at the rear of the car is pretty quick, and that transfers a bunch of weight forward, causing most Fox cars to look like they're standing on their nose in hard braking. Digging into the "anti-dive" geometry on the front of that car involves a bit of work, and I don't think it's done much anymore. I did the mods on the front of my car over 20 years ago.

The KB anti-squat traction brackets on my car are an older way to help slow down that rise rate, and keep the car from shifting so much weight forward when braking. He still is selling them, but you could probably also make something similar on your own.

Getting some stiffer spring up front would help too (I don't see anything other than stock springs listed on your build).

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #27
Thank you so much for doing this write up. I was coming in here to ask the question about the 5 lug swap. I installed a 2003 GT diff into my 88 thunderbird. I was able to install 94 rear brake hoses and match them to the turbo coupe rear brake lines. I also had to drill the diff to mount the brake distribution block.

On the front I am going to swap the inner and outer tie rods to SN parts but my brake set up I am using is 95 spindles and 99 dual piston PBR calipers. so 11" rotors but better calipers. I did some research and found that my master cyl has a 1" bore and the Cobra master cyl has a 1-1/16" bore. Should I be ok to run the stock master cyl from the Thunderbird with the SN set up since it was all running good with the turbo coupe brakes I installed a few years ago?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #28
Thank you so much for doing this write up. I was coming in here to ask the question about the 5 lug swap. I installed a 2003 GT diff into my 88 thunderbird. I was able to install 94 rear brake hoses and match them to the turbo coupe rear brake lines. I also had to drill the diff to mount the brake distribution block.

On the front I am going to swap the inner and outer tie rods to SN parts but my brake set up I am using is 95 spindles and 99 dual piston PBR calipers. so 11" rotors but better calipers. I did some research and found that my master cyl has a 1" bore and the Cobra master cyl has a 1-1/16" bore. Should I be ok to run the stock master cyl from the Thunderbird with the SN set up since it was all running good with the turbo coupe brakes I installed a few years ago?

With the inner tie rod ends, you will have to cut roughly an inch off of the inner. The uncut inners are too long and you'll never get the alignment set correctly. I did a bunch of searching and found the Taurus outers suggested, but the taper on those are incorrect for the spindle. Hack off an inch and you'll be golden.

I did the dual piston PBR's on my TC, and the brake pedal is...lack luster. You'll probably have a similar experience. They stop well, but there's very little confidence in the brake pedal.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #29
It's been a while, but IIRC, I've got an SN95 rack/inners and Taurus outers on my '94-'95 spindles. Fits like a glove.