Skip to main content
Topic: K menber (Read 1728 times) previous topic - next topic

K menber

If used an 88 mustang 5.0 k member in my 87 tbird can I use my control arms just want to use it for motor mounts
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: K menber

Reply #1
Don't know if you did a search here on it but this has been covered quite a bit. Yes, the Tbird control arms bolt up fine to the Mustang k-member, BUT...

The short version is swapping a fox Mustang k member into the 87-8 Tbird can be done but it does not just bolt up and there is a better way, besides.

The long version covers some of the pros and cons of both.

First the swap:  Swapping the Fox k into the Tbird requires spacers be used between the subframe and the k where the 4 large bolts, 2 per side, are located right by the top of the spring. I think the spacer thickness req'd is approx 5/8"? or something close. The 4 small rear bolts that also attach the k will probably have to be elongated using an air die grinder with a carbide burr. You will need to do all needed measurements to make sure the k member is properly squared to the vehicle or some weird steering/handling issues may be encountered. All of this is in addition to transferring the steering rack, control arms, and reattaching the brake hard lines that are bolted to the k-member where they cross over from driver side to pass side under the engine.

The better way is to leave the K-member in the car, pull the engine, degrease the K, have a competent welder cut the Tbird engine mount pads off the K, do the same with the Mustang K, line the Mustang pads up and mig weld them in place. Reinstall engine, skip the k install, all the spacer and squaring the K member horse manure, and drive away with the job done right and nothing bufu- rigged.

Consider that the K-member has your vehicles steering, brakes , suspension and engine all bolted to it while you are ripping down the interstate at 80mph, before you start stacking body washers between your k and the subframe.

Reply #2
Double-fire, no clue why.

Reply #3
Or just get the 86-88 5.0 motor mounts here and avoid any welding:

https://tbirdcougarparts.com/

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
Thanks for the replies you made up my mind appreciate the info
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5

Good luck with that. Website says they are out of stock and doesnt even list the price anyways. No thanks, think I'll stick with my way, that way if need be in the future, I can go to LMR, Rockauto, Napa, or any local parts store and get the sturdy Stang convertible mounts the next day, maybe even the same day. Do it once, do it right.

Reply #6

Good luck with that. Website says they are out of stock and doesnt even list the price anyways. No thanks, think I'll stick with my way, that way if need be in the future, I can go to LMR, Rockauto, Napa, or any local parts store and get the sturdy Stang convertible mounts the next day, maybe even the same day. Do it once, do it right.

Or he could just email them to see when they'll be back in stock.

The pricing on their other mounts isn't much different than what mine were when I was building them, so I imagine they're not going to be over $175/set.

The "Stang Convertible mounts" won't work for his car anyway, and all of the other "stock" options for 86-88 cars suck.

Buy a set of the HD poly mounts and "do it once and do it right".
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #7

Or he could just email them to see when they'll be back in stock.

The pricing on their other mounts isn't much different than what mine were when I was building them, so I imagine they're not going to be over $175/set.

The "Stang Convertible mounts" won't work for his car anyway, and all of the other "stock" options for 86-88 cars suck.

Buy a set of the HD poly mounts and "do it once and do it right".

Ok...tell me, why wont the convertible Stang mounts work?  The guy's last thread before this one, he stated he was using a 351W swapped into his 87 TC. He was askin about using a C4 or AoD trans in that thread.

So were talking about using the exact same engine I installed in my 87 TC and used the Stang mounts using the same procedure I outlined above. Fit like factory and worked like a dream for me. Even using long the Mac tube headers on the Windsor. Guess I should have checked here first before "I went and did it once and did it right."

Reply #8
Well, sure. If you want to deal with cutting out the stock TBird mount pads on the K-member and weld on the Mustangs ones, then yeah the convertible mounts will work.  :dunno:

If he doesn't want to deal with all of that, AND have a set of mounts that will actually last, then the aftermarket set is the way for him to go.

I built and sold mounts for this exact application for several years. I stopped doing it and the shop in the link is doing something similar. They will most likely suit his needs.

He stated he's mainly looking for an option for motor mounts. Stock options for V8's in the 86-88's are hard to find, and even harder to find not already broken.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo