Skip to main content
Topic: Max tire size for Bullitt wheels (Read 1242 times) previous topic - next topic

Max tire size for Bullitt wheels

Hi all,
my 88 has a Max motorsport suspension with coilovers all around, and I have Bullitt wheels.(17x10.5 and 17x8)  I was thinking someone on here had that combo and was looking for a tire size to fit.    I know ya gotta be careful on the front as they are pushed forward.

Thanks!

Reply #1
I have seen 315's mounted on the rear of these cars before. If I recall, you have to lose the tail pipes and the quad shocks to do so. It's been a lot of years. I don't think an 8" wheel up front will be happy with much more than a 245 or 255. After that, I think you'll start to get some bulge.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Yeah, I had Bullitts on my sport, Shawn is spot on, a 245 on an 8" wheel is about the most that will fit in the front. My fronts are 245/45. and the rears are 275/40, on 17" wheels..

The rears are that size because the guy I got them from had 'em on a Fox notch, and I'm fairly certain you're not gonna run much more rubber on one, at leats on my own coupe it's pretty snug. Little more room on an '87-8 Bird, though. On my Sport, lots'o clearance..

Both my Sport and the Stang I have them on now don't have quad shocks. No way, even with "just" a 275 tire...mine are factory Bullitt wheels, not american muscle repros or whatever...

EDIT: thought I had a pic of the sport on them but if I do I can't find it. Here's at least one of my stanger..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
Dead blow hammer and a baseball bat will get you 295's on the rear of a Fox Mustang...ask me how I know.  I would not recommend this if you have a steep drive way as the tires will rub with the body roll.  My buddy has Nitto 315's on his '03 Mach 1 and they are shoe horned as he has not rolled the fender lip or done any massing of the inner fender.  I have seen 335's on some of the SN95, S197 cars but they have been worked over to stuff that tire under there.

I have looked at my '83 Bird and swear up and down I can clear a 315 without touching the sheet metal but it is gong to require a custom offset wheel to do it so here in a year or so I will be rim shopping to stuff the 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R's under the rear of the car.  I may even plunk down the $$$ to switch the front suspension from the McPherson strut type to and SLA setup from Griggs which will allow a wider wheel and tire up front being I will not have to contend with the current strut location.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
Quote from: Tbird232ci;467643
I have seen 315's mounted on the rear of these cars before. If I recall, you have to lose the tail pipes and the quad shocks to do so. It's been a lot of years. I don't think an 8" wheel up front will be happy with much more than a 245 or 255. After that, I think you'll start to get some bulge.

Yep, 275/40's are what I am looking at.  I think those billitts have a 6.5" backspace.    Tires are a bigger mystery than my wife! LOL