Skip to main content
Topic: Wheel upgrade for '83 Heritage (Read 1476 times) previous topic - next topic

Wheel upgrade for '83 Heritage

I am currently running 220/55 R390 tires on my '83 Heritage on TRX wheels. They need replacement but I can't find them anywhere at any price. Has anyone tried this wheel and tire package from LMR? They look similar to what I have, but less spokes. Will they fit? The guy at LMR said he only knows Mustangs and didn't know if they would fit on a T-bird. Said go to the forums.

https://lmr.com/item/WTK-39067452OHT/mustang-trx-wheel-tire-kit-r390-style-16x7-7993-ohtsu

Reply #1
Lots of guys on Four Eyed Pride are buying these right now. I would say yes they will fit. If you can’t find out for sure post the question on FEP as well. Some good guys on that site as well.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #2
Pretty much anything that fits a Mustang fits our cars except we have a lot more room in the wheel Wells. I have some 10-hole Mustang rims I bought them on 14 inch tires got too expensive and I've never look back
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Quote from: kuchak;466623
I am currently running 220/55 R390 tires on my '83 Heritage on TRX wheels. They need replacement but I can't find them anywhere at any price.

If you still prefer to keep the original wheels, you can get the TRX tires from pen 15er Tire.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #4
I tried pen 15er, Universal, and a bunch of others. Yes, they list them on their websites but right at the point you click to purchase it, it says it is back ordered.

Thank you all I will go for the LMR wheels.

Reply #5
FWIW, I checked with my contact at pen 15er and he said they are expecting their next shipment of them mid-September.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #6
So what cars (if any) still utilize the TRX design?  That's a European thing, right?  I'd heard that once upon a time BMW/Mercedes used them as well, correct?  What was their appeal/benefit, besides being impossible to replace?  I bought an '83 LS years ago with the TRX package.  The car never made it back to the road and got sped before it became a problem to replace the tires.  I never intended to keep them on anyway.  My favorite for a Fox car is still the 16" TurboCoupe snowflakes.  Put a set on my new '86 GS.  I just love the way they fill out the fenderwells with 225/55R16's on front and 245/50R16's on back.

Reply #7
Thanks BCA, I can certainly wait that long.

Fordman3, I don't think any cars now use TRX. Here is what I found as to their original appeal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_TRX

When I had an '88 TC I ran snowflakes also.

Reply #8
kuchak,
Thanks.  That's a pretty good explanation from Wikipedia.  I never knew that Ford put them on Granadas, either.  I do like those new LMR copies.  The TRX wheels always were a good-looking design to me, but just not worth the cost and hassle.