Skip to main content
Topic: Front Control Arm Swap - Who has done it, and what were your results? (Read 7639 times) previous topic - next topic

Front Control Arm Swap - Who has done it, and what were your results?

Reply #30
Quote from: thunderjet302;463675
Do you remember how much you machined off? I'm pretty sure a local machine shop could do that if one doesn't have a lathe at home.

Hmmm, I don't recall, but my goal was to have enough threads above the locknut to give me a comfort level - i.e. the nut won't be able to loosen on it's own! Did this 10 years ago (2007) but I did dospoogeent it:

X

X

X
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #31
Looks like you ended up machining off about 1/8"?

I've still got the 10" brakes up front on my car with those same 03-04 Cobra front arms FRPP used to sell. I didn't have to do any machining to get the nylock nut to engage with the 10" spindles. Got thread above the nylock. That area must be slightly thinner on the 10" spindles. The arms have been in for almost 10 years now. I painted a line across the face of the nylock nut and onto the spindle when I installed the arms. The nut hasn't moved in all that time.

Being I'm planning on (probably in the spring) going to 11" front brakes I'll be having the local machine shop take a bit off the ball joint nut pad on the 11" spindle.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #32
Why not just install Fox ball joints into the SN95 control arm and then you don't have to machine anything??

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #33
Quote from: Aerocoupe;463695
Why not just install Fox ball joints into the SN95 control arm and then you don't have to machine anything??

Because the arms come with those fancy low friction ball joints you don't have to grease. I'd rather keep those ball joints than use MOOG pieces.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
Quote from: thunderjet302;463696
Because the arms come with those fancy low friction ball joints you don't have to grease. I'd rather keep those ball joints than use MOOG pieces.

That was my reasoning too. Although having a milling machine in my garage was in my favor as well. :mullet:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #35
Quick Question, not trying to hijack the thread here. I'm going to be performing a 5.0L swap on my TC. As far as Tube K members go what's the best way to go? I see some guys go SN95 tube K's with SN95 arms and spindles, anyone have any input?
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

Reply #36
Quote from: turbo88;463728
Quick Question, not trying to hijack the thread here. I'm going to be performing a 5.0L swap on my TC. As far as Tube K members go what's the best way to go? I see some guys go SN95 tube K's with SN95 arms and spindles, anyone have any input?

Maximum Motorsports Foxbody K member with sn95 arms
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #37
So just use these and later down the road when you want to convert to 5 lug and brakes that don't suck you can pop the Fox spindle off and put the SN95 spindle on.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ford-OEM-Low-Friction-ball-Joint-1979-2004-Mustang-P1465.aspx

Reply #38
I haven't checked this thread in awhile, and a few months ago someone asked how this swap is going a few months in.  I honestly haven't driven the car as much as I would like, but it seems to be holding up nicely.  I'm still happy with the handling and still don't have any tire rub issues.  The only thing that I wish would have gone better is the camber adjustments, as I mentioned earlier that I couldn't get it quite back to stock specs - that said, it's workable and so far hasn't made my tires wear badly or caused any significant handling issues.

Re: Front Control Arm Swap - Who has done it, and what were your results?

Reply #39
Looks like the low friction joint isn't at MM anymore.  Just to clarify that part number F4ZZ-3050-B will fit the 11" Fox mustang GT spindle without any machining or issues of nut backoff.  Thanks guys.
Mike

Reply #40
When I did the Fox control arm/Sn95 spindle swap on my 87 TC , I also elongated the strut tower holes in addition to using the MM plates to allow for more neg camber range.

The strut towers arent exactly made out of tissue paper so it does take some time and a good carbide burr, a die grinder, and most importantly some safety glasses.  A shop vac and some primer and  paint should also be part of the plan. But the results were worth it.

Reply #41
Wanted to post where you can get the ball joints for the control arms.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-suspension-ball-joint-f4zz3050b

Not sure who makes them anymore as the last source was Lemfoerder under part number W0133-1627287 which is who MM was getting them from.  My guess is the ones from Ford will be the best source as the original maker was TRW who sold to Moog who sold the ball joint design to Lemfoerder who doesn't appear to make them or at least not advertise it to the general public.