Skip to main content
Topic: new to me 88 Tbird, pondering brake/wheel upgrades. (Read 6758 times) previous topic - next topic

new to me 88 Tbird, pondering brake/wheel upgrades.

Reply #30
So, bringing this thread back. 

I bought a set of 98 Mustang front spindles and a 98 mustang 7.5 with factory discs.  Was originally going to swap all that in, and eventually look at a different rear when the 7.5 decided it was no longer happy.

i'm now getting a turbo coupe 8.8.  I like the idea of an 8.8, especially because I'm looking at a manual trans.  But i'm set on converting to 5 lug.

i'm reading this:

http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/4to5lug.html

Did i read this correctly?  i can take my 7.5 axles out of my mustang axle, and put them into this 8.8?  and then run the mustang brake parts?

Reply #31
Direct swap. Strip your TC rear down to the axle housing with the gears left in it. Do the same with the SN95 7.5 rear. Swap the SN95 axle brackets onto the 8.8, install the SN95 axles and c-clips, install the &.8 cross pin and retaining bolt with some new loctite. From here reassemble the SN95 brakes. I would suggest rebuilding the trac-lok while you are this deep into the 8.8 but that’s just me.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #32
It's been rebuilt, i think.  if not, I'll definitely be giving it a refreshening.

I'm glad i dont need to go track down axle shafts.  makes my life a bit easier.

Reply #33
Quote from: Aerocoupe;458806

There is another solution which is keep the Fox Inner tie rod and use the Maximum Motorsports tapered style bumpsteer kit which is what I used on my Mustang with SN95 spindles prior to switching to their full suspension up front.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Bumpsteer-kit-1979-93-Mustang-tapered-stud-style-P449.aspx

Me personally I would get the bumpsteer kit as new inner and outer tie rods will cost you about the same and you have the advantage of setting the bumpsteer.  You do not need the bumpsteer gauge for a street car as you can eyeball it and get it  close like I did.  Setting them up with the gauge is better but not worth the effort for a street car that will not be on a track if you ask me.  Also, bumpsteer is more noticeable on roads with crowns and potholes than smooth surfaces on a street car. So with that I would be way more concerned with bumpsteer on your worn out Iowa two lanes than a new four lane.

I didnt mention this before, but i did pick up a bumpsteer kit this fall.  I actually found a local guy selling fox body parts, got a Saleen rack, the bumpseer outer tie rod parts, and a set of new offset rack bushings for $100.

Reply #34
Ok, im close to having all the required parts to do the front swap, but i need to know, what shims should i use for the front struts, when going with the 98 mustang spindles?  The struts are brand new, so i dont want ot go buy a set of mustang struts.

Reply #35
You are needing the strut shims. Used to be able to find them but not so much any more. You need two 1/8” shims per side so get some 1/8 plate or strap, cut to size, drill holes, and install. Some have used washers but if it were me I would make the shims.

One thing to remember is struts are valved for spring rates so matching them is pretty beneficial. If you have struts for a V6 or a 4 cylinder then using them with V8 springs will not be ideal.

Reply #36
I actually ordered the struts in antition for the v8 to go in, so they are set in that aspect. 

I was hoping someone, somewhere made the shims, but no bother, i'll just make some myself then.

Reply #38
Aero, you're my hero!

Reply #39
waking this thread up again...

My parts stash is ever growing, it seems.  I now own three different axles i was planning on swapping in the car, first the 7.5 out of a 98 mustang, then an 88 TC 8.8, and now, a 94 Mustang 8.8 thats been beefed up with 4.10s.

I also have my 98 mustang spindles, as well as a set of 94 mustang spindles.  the 94 spindles are ideal, correct?  or should i go with the 98 spindles still?  i plan on lowering the car an inch or so using 98 mustang springs, and i do have a bumpsteer kit and a new rack to swap in.

Here's the wheels i plan on running.  17's off an 08 mustang.  i have two sets of em now.

Reply #40
As we discussed, 94-95 spindles are ideal for a stock k-member car.  Can you use the 96+ spindles on a stock k-member car?  You can but the negative effects are a tad bit wider track and you get to deal with some bump steer.  So the wheels of the 08 Mustang might work up front but the offset in the rear may be funky but I cannot say for sure.  The '08 wheels should be a 17x8 with a +45mm offset and came factory with a 245/45R17.  I know that the '97 Cobra wheels fit and they are a 17x8 with a +30mm offset and most run a 245/40R17 tire on them. Running the numbers the '08 wheel will move about 0.5" inward compared to the '97 Cobra wheel.  The '97 Cobra wheels were already a bit far inward in the rear of the car for me so the '08's will just move them farther inward.  The additional inward movement may cause rubbing issues on the front struts as well.  I know most Fox cars can use the SN95 (94-98) and New Edge or S197 (99-04) wheels just fine when flipped to a five lug conversion.  Hope this helps.

Go back to this thread where we talked about wheels and use that calculator I linked.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?40587