Skip to main content
Topic: Strut Tower/Rail Rust Opinions (Read 3875 times) previous topic - next topic

Strut Tower/Rail Rust Opinions

Hey guys, I just picked up an '86 Bird for cheap. The body is in good shape and really only scattered surface rust underneath except for the passenger side strut tower. The previous owner broke off the loose rust and sprayed it with POR 15. I need some opinions on it. It still seems structurally sound and the whole side of the frame rail and rest of the strut tower is perfect.

If I wanted to, is this something I can have someone repair with the engine in the car? Does it look that bad and/or dangerous? How much would a repair like this run? Is this something I can continue to run with as is and constantly check to make sure it doesn't get worse? I've seen much worse Fox bodies so I figured I'd go for it. ANy opinions welcomed.
Thanks guyz.

Strut Tower/Rail Rust Opinions

Reply #2
in my opinion, you will need to remove the engine to fix it and you'll probably find more holes in other places...(probably by the firewall and frame rail)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook