Skip to main content
Topic: Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble! (Read 58925 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Help! 7.5" Axle to 8.8" Trouble!

Reply #15
Ronnie why not go ahead and get the stock Mustang length axles???? Will give you a little more tire to fender clearance....

Reply #16
Id love to Tom but it would hurt my feelings if I got them and theyre too short. But they would be cheaper since they are not custom made. You think the 8.8 Mustang and TC rearends are the same lengths? It does make sense in order for the TC to accomodate the disc brakes. I believe Joe(bondocougar) has some mustang axles on order, Im eager to hear how they work. Later

Ronnie
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #17
Have you read my post?

Reply #18
Quote from: JeremyB
Have you read my post?

Yes, I have read all your posts on this subject, and from what I can tell everyone seems to disagree. Its hilarious, you ask a question and someone replies "yeah sure" without any sort of evidence other than hear say.

I read your above post concerning drums etc. However, my question is very simple:

What length axles will work with a TC 8.8 with 9in drum brakes? Now guys on the corral say that the TC rearend is the same length as a Fox stang rearend. This would mean that fox stang axles would work. Now Im not getting my info from someone's text book, its coming from real world experience, which would tend to dominate theoretical values. Sometimes, they way things should be is not the same as the way they truely are.

Reply #19
The only reason I say all the rears are the same is from corral.net/corner-carver.com searches and Kirschenbaum. I hope the threads I linked to you over on the Corral put your mind at ease.

Reply #20
Quote from: JeremyB
The only reason I say all the rears are the same is from corral.net/corner-carver.com searches and Kirschenbaum. I hope the threads I linked to you over on the Corral put your mind at ease.

Sorry for my ignorance, but Im trying to clear this up for everyone...

From what I understand the 8.8 mustang rear, 7.5 mustang rear, 8.8 turbo coupe rear, and lincoln lsc rears are all the same width. BUT the tbird 7.5 rear is not on that list. The mustang 8.8 and tc 8.8 are identical in width, but the axles on the TC are longer due to disc brakes. Since the tbird 7.5 does not have disc brakes, it still needs to be the same overall width as the TC rear, but the rearend itself is wider to compensate for no disc brakes. Therefore 7.5 rearend axles will not work in a 8.8TC rear properly without mods. So I think the best alternative is to use 8.8mustang axles in a TC 8.8 if one wants to retain drum brakes. Agree?

Reply #21
I think you got it exactly.  Mustang axles go right in.  If you are staying with the 28 spline than pick up a couple of used axles at the yard.  This way if for some reason you theory does not work you are not out much.  In fact you could just pick up one to try for now.  If you are going with the 31 spline than I used Superior axles.

Very good information, sorry you had to go through all this.

TED

Reply #22
so theres no way to convert to 5 lugs with a 7.5 rear in a tbird with out changing axle size

Reply #23
Quote from: im gay as hell
so theres no way to convert to 5 lugs with a 7.5 rear in a tbird with out changing axle size

Yes there is...use 94+ Mustang axles.....same length as those in the Tbird.....  I converted the 7.5 in the 84 XR-7 with axles from a 95 Mustang.......
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #24
But chuck, weren't the T-bird/Cougar 7.5 rears the same dimensions as the Mustangs up until mid-year of 1985?  That guy is talking about his 87 T-bird.  The 94 and up axles worked in your 7.5 because it's of the early years; I don't thing this kid will have the same luck.

Joe

Reply #25
will it work or not

Reply #26
or what other shafts can i use from what other models of car

Reply #27
....*sigh*

Now this thread makes baby Jesus vomit.

Reply #28
Quote from: joefriday
But chuck, weren't the T-bird/Cougar 7.5 rears the same dimensions as the Mustangs up until mid-year of 1985?  That guy is talking about his 87 T-bird.  The 94 and up axles worked in your 7.5 because it's of the early years; I don't thing this kid will have the same luck.

Joe

You know, I never measured the ed thing.... :sorry: I took an 84 Cougar XR-7 7.5 rear axle housing, stuck 95 Mustang axles in it and am running the TC rear disks.....did not have to use any spacers or voodoo.

It did have the taller hat drums on it though.

I do have to admit all my cars have been 83-85....so I have no firsthand experience with the 87-88 cars when it comes to the rear axles.

I suppose he could just pick up a used 7.5 Mustang housing cheap and be done with it....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #29
but no one knows which axles shaft you can swap wright in to make this so much easier