Skip to main content
Topic: 150,000 miles of abuse and the EcoBoost still dyno'd like it was new. (Read 10980 times) previous topic - next topic

150,000 miles of abuse and the EcoBoost still dyno'd like it was new.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

I just KNOW someone is gonna react like I did. At certain points it sounds like the truck is rockin' a V8...but clearly they dubbed in sound for some reason. Listen real close at some of the close-ups of the truck as it rounds the circle track, and when it's in the Baja racer, definitely a six.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
That thing's pretty sweet....and yeah you're right, you can definitely hear the V-6 in the Baja.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #2
I would drive one!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
i would love to put am EB in the TC
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #4
11,300 lb towing capacity V6....Impressive.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
I would murder Mike Rowe for that truck.

...Ok, no I wouldn't. Mike Rowe's awesome. So is that truck. I've already seen that vid and the rest of them too. I looooove the look of the new F-150 and I hope the Ranger is in store for some new powerplants next year. They already gave it a small facelift, so following Ford protocol, it should be getting some engines next year.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #6
Don't hold your breath on the Ranger thing, it's riding off into the sunset next year with no replacement. As much as I've chided Ford for being in the stone ages over many things, they are extremely stupid for turning their backs on their two prehistoric bright spots, the Ranger and the Panther. As ancient as those two vehicles are, and as much as the car magazines made fun of them, they absolutely owned their markets. Their costs were amortized decades ago, so they were essentially licenses to print money. And all it would have taken was some modern drivetrains. Ecoboost 4cyl Ranger anyone? Or how about a 5.0 Crown Vic? Or even a 4.6 3-valve CV, for that matter. Hell, many police agencies would have loved to have seen a Duratec 3.5 or 3.7 powered CVPI. More powerful than the 2-valve 4.6 and more efficient to boot. Alas, it all falls under the "what could have been" umbrella now, just like our factory HO powered fox Birdcats....
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Oh no! Guess I'd better buy one while I've got the chance huh? pshh as if I could afford a new truck:rolleyes: I was building one online earlier, even at the cheapest I can't afford one:punchballs: This really sucks. Of course, that will just give me free rain to drool over the Frontier, which is my favorite non-fullsize truck. I can't believe their gonna can it. It does seem like a stupid move. I find it strange that you say that though, cause I could swear I thought I saw pics last year of a leaked 2012 model ranger? and I believe it was 4 door and totally redesigned, like Chevy did with the S-10 back in the late 90's?

It seems like Ford is about to cut way too much out, if they don't start replacing it with something, I don't know what's going to happen. Sure the Taurus is cool, and the F-150 is a badass truck, but they don't appeal to every buyer. Ford will now have no fullsize sedan am I correct? Or does the Taurus fit that genre? And F-150 doesn't come in a cheap and small form. Between that and Mercury, I don't know. I'm starting to shake my fist at Ford too. I gotta say though, I'm not that bummed about the Towncar disappearing. I think the current version is just plain ugly.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #8
Taurus IS a fullsize, Fusion is midsize...

Ranger sales going down every year, the EB engine will actually  mean an even quicker demise of the Ranger...a little less efficiency in a much larger truck with more room= bye bye ole Ranger.

I'm tired of stuffing myself into mini trucks....add a coupla kids to that, and they're less than worthless to me. I need 2 couches on a 4x4 chassis with some clearance, and enough room left over for 2 weeks' worth of grub and supplies for all of us and 5 dogs.

Sadly, I'm outgunned on an Expedition or pretty well any big vehicle purchase....THIS year, anyway.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Yes, Ranger sales have been going down every year, but when you consider that this is a truck whose body style dates back to 1993 and it still sells as well as it does, I think that shows there is a market for a small truck. I fully believe that with a refreshed body and some new engines while keeping with the Ranger's current strengths (small, cheap) Ford would have a winner. As for "A little less efficiency in a much larger truck", just imagine that efficiency if the Ranger's engine line got the same attention that the F-series does. An Ecoboost 4-cyl putting out in the range of ~250 horses ang getting over 30 MPG would be just what the doctor ordered. And there are many, myself included, who prefer the smaller, nimbler (especially off road), easier to handle (and park) footprint of a small truck...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
Yeah there's no good reason to kill the panther, fleet services would definitely continue to buy and buy for years to come.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #11
I am doubtful that Ford will cease Ranger production forever.  There will be some sort of replacement eventually, its too large of a market for them to ignore and let Toyota, GM, etc take over.  Plus with EPA mandated mfg fleet MPG requirements, they will need a small pickup in the lineup to keep their numbers where they need them.

Hell, I was reading somewhere the other day where they say the 1/2 ton pickup may be on the way of the dodo bird due to how tough it would be to meet mpg requirements.  Current 1/2 tons average what, 15-17 mpg at best?  It would be a huge undertaking to get a 1/2 ton 4x4 up to 35 mpg (of course ecoboost is a step in the right direction).  I would not be shocked if in 10 yrs all you can buy new is either a Ranger-sized pickup, or a diesel HD style rig.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #12
While I am a huge Ford fan, I don't see this as a big deal.  Any modern engine should yield similar results.

Reply #13
Quote from: tirefryr;351931
While I am a huge Ford fan, I don't see this as a big deal.  Any modern engine should yield similar results.

Did you not watch the head to head? It beat the bejeezus out of the Chevy and Dodge V8's.

And as far as Ecoboost being a blow to the 4 cylinder efficiency idea, it is certainly not a game changer. Have you seen the price tag on the Ecoboost? You can't get an ecoboost F-150 for less than 27,000 for the most basic model possible. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep that. And I will sit back with the rest of the median income working class who can't even afford an 18,000 4-cyl compact truck.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #14
I was simply stating that with the advanced materials and engineering we have today, this feat should be attainable by any manufacturer.

I agree with you all on the money front.  Even the "cheap" Focus has become obscenely over-priced.