Skip to main content
Topic: Recommendations for 88 Turbo Coupe Steering/Suspension (Read 5441 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommendations for 88 Turbo Coupe Steering/Suspension

Reply #30
I have poly in mine..... they were already installed when I got the control arms so I left them in there. I don't find it that bad in my 87. If/when I need to replace them I will likely go back to rubber.

I used the fox struts with front TC springs. I can't remember the wheel gap with the 2.3 but with stock front springs it's going to drop. Mine has about 1.5" wheel to fender gap with the Turbo EFI 5.0 and stock size tires, I imagine the big block will drop about the same.

Something else to consider...... speaking from experience...... When you swap in the v8, the car will have a pretty good rake front to back with rear TC springs. Traction is also going to suck..... great for doing burnouts and maybe drifting LOL.  I ended up installing rear springs from an 03 along with adjustable spring perch lower control arms and Chuck's shock adaptor brackets so I could level out the car and run fox mustang shocks out back. The car definitely hooks much better!  I think FastED has a set up for sale right now. I would grab them if I were you.....I don't think Chuck is making them anymore.

More info for the v8 swap.... whatever transmission you decide on you may need to re-think the Speedo drive/driven gear combo relative to tire size. There aren't a whole lot of tires to choose from in a 17" that will fill in  the wells. I'm not a low profile guy so I don't run the tiny mustang sidewalls on my 17's  You may want to consider going to an 18" wheel if your taste is anything like mine. Lastly you will need to do a minor electrical tweak to the tach otherwise it will read double. Eric has a write up on CoolCats if your interested.

John

Reply #31
X2 on rough riding poly. If it's a track car only, then yes. If you live in the country like I do, it's going to be horrible and you won't like it.

I also had poly in the rear arms as well (CHE arms) and had solid axle bushings for the uppers. Very stiff, car would break the rears loose even at slight throttle on any surface that wasn't paved, smooth, or the like. Wasn't the power either, it was only a stock HO engine.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #32
Well it would figure I would find out everyone dislikes the Poly after I ordered them. I checked older posts and people seemed excited about them. I guess they finally had to live with them. Lol I will see about sending them back and going the Moog route. :)

Thanks for the heads up John. I sent Ed a PM to see if I can’t get them from him. Sounds like they will come in handy. I had
No idea the rear would cause an issue like that. I think I saw some were using convertible Mustang rear springs?

Well the lead I had on a great 460 deal is gone. I was second in line and of course the first person bought it. Would have been stupid for them not to. It was a totally rebuilt (by an engine shop) 460 with Proform heads, Lunati cam, Edelbrock intake and water pump, etc....he only wanted $1400. Yes....$1400! Hate I just barely missed it. When I saw the ad it had been posted for only 20 hours. Story of my life. Lol I guess it’s a sign to stay with the 351 :)

Reply #33
Oh and actually John my initial idea was to run 15 inch wheels as I wanted a somewhat NASCAR copy with stock car black wheels. I even wanted to go the whole Toploader and pedal swap out, but I have no clue where the shifter would end up. For convenience, I will go AOD. Now I didn’t know about the 17’s not filling the wheel wells that good. I may need to check what the 18’s have to offer. I did like the idea of 10.5 wide wheel in the back. :)

Reply #34
Well won’t believe this. Wen’t to a guy’s Fox yard to get the LCAs for $25. He didn’t want to fool with taking them off the k member, so he said he would just give it to me. He also had some 5 lug steelies with new tires on them and I got those too......all for the grand total of $85. I just needed the wheels to be able to roll the car around once I do the swap. So I really scored today. The only bad is now I am thinking I can use that stock V8 K member as it is in excellent shape and just sell the tubular. That would save me some money and assuming the 351C should fit in there as well. Though I would be losing access space for the headers/starter. At least got the 2.3 with transmission out a few hours ago. What a pain that was to pull the 4 cylinder.

Reply #35
the previous owner of my 87 TC who built up most of the car used 96-98 SN95 spindles with steeda x2 ball joints.  according to MM, this is ok because it raises the pivot point enough in the FCA.

the 96-98 spindles seem to be a lot easier to find and cheaper...

Reply #36
Hey Aerocoupe, I was going back through what you said to me on the first page on the steering rack. Now you mentioned since I am using stock Fox LCA's that I can use the Fox inner and outer tie rods with my 2003 rack. Though since I am using the same 2003 spindles, will I still be able to use the Fox inner and outers? Or is that going to push the track width out too much and leave not enough thread? I am having SN95 ball joints pressed on the factory Fox LCAs. Just want to make sure I order the right tie rods. Also I plan on using my factory turbo springs and got a free set of used Fox struts that I plan to test with. I also ordered some offset steering rack bushings in thinking it will help with my AJE K Member. Hope to have it all installed next weekend as I finally got all the stock stuff pulled last weekend. Thanks!

Reply #37
Thanks 85Turbo. I had to take a look at those ball joints. They do look like they would be a good option. The bad thing is I already ordered the Moog SN95's and they will be put on this weekend to the stock Fox LCAs.

Reply #38
Well kind of scratch that. I just found out you can use 1993 Taurus outers on the metric threads of the newer racks and it will give you the same Fox total length. I went ahead and ordered those and with fingers crossed will hope it fits. :)

Reply #39
I have a 460 to c4 bell housing , I ran a 460 in my fairmont with a pan fill c4, fit great and was easy to handle