Skip to main content
Topic: New career direction. (Read 2189 times) previous topic - next topic

New career direction.

Ditching the automotive aftermarket world to return to the OE environment.  I've had it with Napa ("parts are like a box of chocolates"), I've had it with oil changes (I mean ASE MASTER L1 L3, FFS), I've had it.  I can't even anymore.
Tesla up and scooped me out of my misery. 

• No oil changes
  • No flat rate
  • No Russian parts Roulette
  • Electric cars aren't coated in grease and oil

Everybody pray I don't melt my arm off on an orange cable while I'm flying free.

Re: New career direction.

Reply #1
Congratulations!  I hope the change serves you well.  At least it will be something new.

My old roommate was a ASME Tech (don't think he made Master) and then he went to work for a dealership.  That was a good change for a little while but even there he got pretty grumpy although he made his way up to an A Tech there.

Today he has been working as  a home generator installer and mechanic.  He seems much happier.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #2
Congratulations on the new job and career path.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Tesla and a lot of their practices. Hopefully they treat you well enough to change my feelings on the company as a whole.

Do they offer any benefits or retirement or anything like that?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
I’m in a bit of a similar situation myself. Good luck with the move, hope it goes well.

Reply #4
Congratulations on the new job and career path.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Tesla and a lot of their practices. Hopefully they treat you well enough to change my feelings on the company as a whole.

Do they offer any benefits or retirement or anything like that?
Yes. The package is quite good, 401k, vested equity, stock discounts, and extremely generous insurance contribution. I don't believe I'm permitted to discuss the details in an open forum, but that's the highlights minus detail.

Reply #5
That sounds like a pretty good gig.

Hopefully the customer base is going to be the worst part of the job.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6

Can't be worse than the Mustang owners I dealt with in my Ford dealership days.

Reply #7

Can't be worse than the Mustang owners I dealt with in my Ford dealership days.

You mentioning that made me realize that the guys at the dealership where I bought my Mustang seemed very cautious about how they talked to me when I had an issue. I bought the car and it had condensation in the tail light. They agreed to fix it for me. I showed up in a Snap On jacket and looking rough like a typical mechanic. They treated me like I would expect them to treat a Karen who just an expensive car. I guess Mustang owners are douchebags when it comes to going to the dealer.

One night, I went on a YouTube binge and found the video of the younger guy who was rebuilding Teslas. It was a cool video. I ended up watching an assload of videos about the issues people had with the cars. Some insanely major with the dealers treating them like garbage. The majority were the owners admitting were petty issues, but for the price they paid, a lot of the fit and finish should be on point. The other point was that the cars are silent inside, so anything that rubs or vibrates becomes much more of a nuisance. That's why I feel the customers might be insanely frustrating.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
I'm midway through week 2 of training, and the hype is shaging REAL.  I have GOT to find a way to fit a P series drive unit in a Cobra IRS.  I'm not even joking.  I've driven fast cars, and my shiznit ain't bad either, but seriously.

Reply #9
It's been a few months, how is the job going?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #10
Haven't acquired Cobra IRS yet, or Large Rear Drive Unit.

The pace is intense, These places never stop, and since nobody is flat rate, I've seen techs flat-out swarm a car and clear it so fast you're just left blinking.  The tech is a learning curve, that's for sure.  I'm headed out to Toledo tonight for 3 days of training in Contactors and Discharge.  High Voltage training ALSO never ends.  Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Reply #11
Haven't acquired Cobra IRS yet, or Large Rear Drive Unit.

The pace is intense, These places never stop, and since nobody is flat rate, I've seen techs flat-out swarm a car and clear it so fast you're just left blinking.  The tech is a learning curve, that's for sure.  I'm headed out to Toledo tonight for 3 days of training in Contactors and Discharge.  High Voltage training ALSO never ends.  Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

The joys of the millions of training classes.

At UPS, we take monthly training courses, and once a year, we take about 10 hours of annual training. Most of the training doesn't pertain to us, but it keeps blame from falling on UPS if something happens.
It's Gumby's fault.