Skip to main content
Topic: Test and Tune Today (Read 9881 times) previous topic - next topic

Test and Tune Today

Reply #15
We'll see. I am used to purpose built stuff as opposed to bargain bin shopping, but who knows. I allowed $2000. to pull this all together not including the odds and ends I already had. I still need a BTM, headers, head gaskets, possibly a radiator.Don't know how long the trans will hold up, but thats another story.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #16
A friend offered me a set of Ford Racing Roller Rockers for free. Found a set of BBK Shorty headers for $40., but offered $65. if he would take Pay Pal and ship them to me. If you are in the North East, check out Stablemates Mustang Car Club and MD, WVa, and PA. Mustang parts on Facebook. I have found most of the used parts I needed cheap. Its like a scavenger hunt now. $400. left, still need the BTM, radiator and some small stuff I'll have to buy new.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #17
My friend with the rockers also thru in an ATI SFI 50 oz. balancer, bringing it to a total of $125. for both pieces. Sold a $1000. in misc parts at a local swap meet yesterday, so it's time to round up the remaining odds and ends. Like to get everything wrapped up by the end of May, but we'll see.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #18
Picked up a slightly used alum radiator for $150. Have a couple new electric fans and relays here as well. Was getting ready to start the teardown until the Snow Forcast for here in MD. I guess we will wait another week or 2. We did pick up 55 gallons of e85 for the other cars, and it was $1.81 a gallon.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #19
Started pulling things apart last week before the cold snap here in Maryland. I will have a list of oe parts to give away once we get further along. Still need to get a BTM, haven't found any deals recently.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #20
A friend of a friend came up with the deal on a used MSD BTM for $180. Just need some warmer temps to make some head way.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #21
Ran into some bad luck.Upon removing heads and top end of engine, one of the short head bolts broke off 1/2 '' below the deck surface.Tried reverse drill bits, heat, and broke off an easy out in the bolt. A friend offered to try to weld  a bolt and nut to it, but I think I'm done. A guy a few miles away from me has a 306 shortblock for $350. May just put one together on the stand and then swap it out. Gotta love cars.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #22
Well that sux...

Yeah if it doesn't come out easily you have a problem... If it was already broken no doubt the threads in block are damaged, with only ¼" of threads on bolt it will pull threads in block upward...

I busted one on a diesel Olds but was even with top of block...  After finally drilling into bolt(had to resharpen bit after approx every 30 seconds of drill time), it came right out with a Ez Out... I was working with head on engine, replaced bolt it was fine, ran it a couple more years...

Test and Tune Today

Reply #23
Looks like I made out OK on this 306 purchase. Pulled a couple bearings and they look very good. He claimed less than 10k on shortblock. Good deal of carbon built up on the Speed Pro flat tops. To speed things up I picked up a new pan, gasket, oilpump drive and hardware for a little over $100. Same friend gave me a pump and pickup he had lying around. Piston to valve isn't problem now. If weather cooperates, I might have it finished on the stand tomorrow. This put me a little over $400. over my budget, but may last a little longer than my initial plan.

Test and Tune Today

Reply #24
X Slow going here the last 6 weeks. Wife started a new job, son Graduated high school, family came to visit and just made it back from Florida picking another car up for my son. Here is what the engine looked like before dropping into the engine bay. Hoping to get it running by August, if my patio project doesn't kill me first.