Skip to main content
Topic: Got a question on the stock radio... (Read 5736 times) previous topic - next topic

Got a question on the stock radio...

So my '88 Bird has the premium sound and cassette player which seem to work great except for the fader... the front driver side speakers seem to be under powered or something and when I wiggle the fader  they get nice and loud for a split second, then go faint again. I was wondering if this was a common thing and if there was anything I could do about it...

Thanks

1988 Thunderbird Sport aka 'The Beater Bomb!'- Eibach Sportline Springs, Removed Silencer, Straight Pipe Exhaust
3G Alternator, Mustang 8.8", Thunderbird Sport 10" drums, 3.27 gears on a locker.

Reply #1
It's common on all old potentiometers. They just get corroded over time. You could try the easiest thing, just turn the radio off and whip the  back and fourth a million times to try to let it se itself clean. If that doesn't work, you could take it apart and clean the potentiometer with contact cleaner (some swear by DeOxit, but I have found that most electrical contact cleaners all work well for me). Just make sure it's dry before you power it back on.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Yeah, I gave the nob plenty of whiping back and forth and it got better but still doesn't work perfectly, I'll pop it out this afternoon and give it a good cleaning.

Thanks!

1988 Thunderbird Sport aka 'The Beater Bomb!'- Eibach Sportline Springs, Removed Silencer, Straight Pipe Exhaust
3G Alternator, Mustang 8.8", Thunderbird Sport 10" drums, 3.27 gears on a locker.

Reply #3
I have the EXACT problem with the radio in my Premium Sound System.  I want to retain the stock sound system and ordered another radio from ebay but it came with the same issue (left channel cut-out).

I assume you remove the faceplate to access the radio control  and potentiometer?  If so, how do you separate the faceplate from the radio body? I removed the volume  and channel slider but afraid to "pry" it off.

UPDATE:  Was able to remove the faceplate.  Two small phillips screw on each end and gently lift.  To access the potentiometer must remove top cover plate then pull volume control  off.  I then sprayed the potentiometer thoroughly with CRC Electrical Cleaner and reassembled the radio.  The left channel still cuts out but not as often.