Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015 (Read 117712 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015

Reply #30
Some pics of the vert today. I figure I have absolutely  no before pics of my other car, so I'm taking pics of this one before.

Anyone interested in how it was chopped, and what it looks like from the inside?
Here's some pics..

Behind the back seat. the cars in 86 didn't have this plate.

This is where they cut the back seat and welded it back together

The official Car Craft plate and door tag

The original Ford tag covered by weather stripping. I'm pretty sure it's just rubber inner tube

Custom side panels covering the lift cylinders. they're all made from sheet metal and covered in vinyl

Back window switches and speakers.

The subframe connector

The door and roof chop.

inside the rear quarter panels

Here you can see where the seat belt cane through the pillar trim

Looking down inside the quarter panel

This confuses me, why are the window switches in this way, and opposite in my 87.
I keep trying to push the switch the wrong way to open it. and everytime I do, I think the motor died. LOL

And more stuff behind the back seat.

Notice the creative use for spray can caps protecting the top from the shocks.
apparently it came that way from Car Craft

There you have it. A quick little tour of how it's made
And My new cool vert pic of the month
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #31
cool tour thanks.. Looks like a fun car to own
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #32
lmao jerry i thought my spray cap idea was the bomb i replaced the rear shocks and the original ones they cut the the rest of the rod off so it wouldnt hit the top and was a bi#ch to get them out  i had to cut the plastic boot and put visegrips on the cylynder to hold it wile i took the nut off.and i didnt want to go through that again so i instald covers so i didnt half to cut the rod...so u should be thanking me becouse didnt u just put air shocks on her....lol    can i buy her back now
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #33
Quote from: BEARMAX;276277
lmao jerry i thought my spray cap idea was the bomb i replaced the rear shocks and the original ones they cut the the rest of the rod off so it wouldnt hit the top and was a bi#ch to get them out  i had to cut the plastic boot and put visegrips on the cylynder to hold it wile i took the nut off.and i didnt want to go through that again so i instald covers so i didnt half to cut the rod...so u should be thanking me becouse didnt u just put air shocks on her....lol    can i buy her back now

Well, then you are the man. The shocks came right out in about 2 min.
Sorry, I haven't got tired of it yet. But you'll be the first to know when I do. ;)

An action shot of the top going up.
And yes, It's in need of a new top

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #34
Quote from: daminc;276427

is that a J-D L100 sitting there?????:D
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #35
Quote from: daminc;276221

And it's shots like this that reiterate that the 94-97 Cobra wheels are some of the best-looking factory wheels for these cars.  They flow VERY well with the lines of the car.

Also,  you Jerry...I'm SERIOUSLY fighting the urge to hunt down a 'vert...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #36
Quote from: Chuck W;278026
And it's shots like this that reiterate that the 94-97 Cobra wheels are some of the best-looking factory wheels for these cars.  They flow VERY well with the lines of the car.

Agreed.

Thanks for the pics ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #37
Quote from: Chuck W;278026

Also,  you Jerry...I'm SERIOUSLY fighting the urge to hunt down a 'vert...

LOL
You know, I have the pattern for a vert sitting right here. We could make them all day long.

I do love those wheels on it too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #38
Man, chuck I think if you had a vert you would end up building a tube frame for the chassis. every convertible I have ever ridden in felt like it was about to break in half while going over diagonal speed bumps and things of the like.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #39
Quote from: Haystack;278167
Man, chuck I think if you had a vert you would end up building a tube frame for the chassis. every convertible I have ever ridden in felt like it was about to break in half while going over diagonal speed bumps and things of the like.

This car takes pot holes and bumps like a tank , with no noticeable flexing. It actually rides like I remember my 87 being. And since I put the air shocks on, it's given the car a lot firmer ride, which I like in a car.
When I redo the car. I'm going to put a full boxed frame on it. right now it has a gigundous U-channel frame on it. which means it will support the weight between the front and back without flexing, but when you change the direction of the stress on the frame on a down ward pull, like when jacking it up in the center of the frame, you will see the door gap open up to almost 1" at the top of the door next to the handle. You can actually see the entire car arc as you jack it up.
I think it needs something like this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #40
Just wondering but did any of the Cougar 'verts have dual power seats? I see that Car Craft used the space for the passenger power seat control for the top and rear window controls.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #41
I would think that the pass seat would have the switches relocated to the side of the seat if it was powered. (if there was one)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #42
It may have been possible. I do know of at least one XR7 convertible that supposedly had a power top switch placed next to the power antenna switch, beside the steering column. That would have left room for dual power seats although I can't confirm that it did (never saw the car in person). Otherwise it seems that Car Craft used the passenger power seat switch for the top mechanism (with one of the tracers removed) in all other cars.

Here is another known XR7 convertible with the console switch:

Reply #43
So only one Cougar vert had dual power seats, maybe. Kinda rare on a rare car ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #44
Well, it's officially mine. I got the vert title back from NYS. I was a little worried with the photocopied bill of sale (that they wouldn't originally take), and the almost 3 month wait for the title transfer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook