Skip to main content
Topic: 2008 Thundercats Calendar - Now Available to Forum Members! (Read 23742 times) previous topic - next topic

2008 Thundercats Calendar - Now Available to Forum Members!

Reply #30
Quote from: baxo;139257
I think the only way visually the 2 cars per month can be pulled off nicely is if both cars were taken in the same photograph. My suggestion would be to do calendar photo-shoots perhaps at Cat Jam..

Or people who live by each other. I could easily take pics next to Grahams TC.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #31
Quote from: EricCoolCats;139213
Oooooooh yeah...me likes that idea big time. From a designer's point of view, that will help things signficantly and look very professsional. I don't think those should be the only views, but they should be the minimum requirements for submission. Antonio needs a good base set of photos for each car to mess around with, when composing the layouts. No good photos, no good layouts, simple as that. We need variety but also need standards.

Now that we know what works and what doesn't from the '07 calendar, and also now that we can expect the same large-size format as the '07 calendar, we really should set some kind of requirements for 2008. Something like...

- Minimum file dimensions (ex: min. 4.0 megapixel camera set at maxiumum resolution)
- Minimum amount of photos (which could be as BlondeThunder pointed out)
- All the display text (car info, specs)
- Owner's name and location
- Deadline date

This way, Antonio isn't trying to coerce people for submissions at the last minute. We have to make things as easy as possible for him because he's the composer doing all the grunt work. With standards set, everyone can be assured of an extremely high quality product. These calendars aren't inexpensive, by any means, so we need the highest quality possible for the money. What do you think, Antonio?

I still really like the 1 car/month setup from a visual point of view. But with 2 cars/month we maximize the total cars that can fit on the calendar. That was the only reason I ever mentioned it. Then again, it could look a bit crammed. I'm fine with it either way though. Just thankful that we have this opportunity. ;)

I agree, requirements make my job a whole lot easier and I can concentrate on producing the calendar (I actually did have some last year, but very few people followed them :D). I also agree that the 1 car a month looks really clean. After seeing the calendar at home and at work for the pass months I have to say I really like that format.  I'm inclined to believe that 2 cars with stats and whatnot would be very busy even on these huge calendars. The page would need to be in the portrait orientation to not be an eyesore IMO.

Now I know everyone doesn't have a nice camera, so I'm hoping someone at CatJam can help out with that. Any volunteers? Please contact me. I'm also thinking about getting some webspace and creating an FTP account for people to get their pics to me. Seems as though most peeps are afraid (or can't) email me their largest file size. I'm also going to create some sort of standard file (.doc, .pdf, .xls & etc...) for Owner Info and Stats. If there's one thing I learned from last year, it's "get f'n organized!!!".

And yeah, your right Eric, they aren't cheap. I could in theory take pre-orders for a bulk discount (think close to half-off). I'll try it and see how it goes. I think I need at least 15 orders. Which if this year is anything like last year that should be no problem.

I'm also thinking about doing some kind of contest to give away a free calendar. Nothing serious... maybe just a poll on who made the most progress this year or who's thundercat should be crushed or even something more official like "People's Choice". :)

And lastly I wouldn't mind farming out some of the workload. I know Claude was going to help last year, but I wasn't organized enough to send out the work. Whether or not that will change will depend solely on me. But I wouldn't mind having a couple names listed just in case.

Well I'm done yappin, I need to go to bed. I've got a double coming up.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #33
I kind of like the idea that was mentioned of owners who have more than one car, taking a photo of the cars together for on month's layout.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #34
Don't hate me for asking but, how many people on average show up to this "Cat Jam"? I am new  so go easy on me. If it is worth going to I will go next year.
:birdsmily:

Reply #35
I hope you go next year. Car looks sweet in the avatar. I won't be there this year. I've been to the last 3, and it seems to be getting a little bigger each year.

Reply #36
Don't hate me for asking but, how many people on average show up to this "Cat Jam"? I am new so go easy on me. If it is worth going to I will go next year.

Wow...Colorado...that's a haul. Fortunately it's straight down I-80 though. :)

http://www.catjam.net/

Past years' photos are there on the left; we tried to get pix of every vehicle. Average of around 30-35 cars per year. Hoping to top 40 this year. It doesn't sound like much, but we have around 13-15 different states, plus Canada, represented every year. Some people make VERY long trips. The tenacity of this group is just amazing.

Reply #37
Well, its only Colorado until Oct, then I go back to Michigan, so more than likely I will go next year.

Just got done looking at the photos of previous jams, I WILL be going next year.

Reply #38
I am going next year. I am closer this year, but gas, and not having the Cougar just kill. I will hopefully have the Cougar in running order to drive that far. The truck would maybe make the haul, minus the bad ball joints.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #39
WIP (work in progress)

I was so excited from CatJam I decided to get started on the calendar right away. These guys just happened to show up in nearly identical TCs, one by pure co-inky-. But more on that later. Here's the current WIP.

Hi Res version.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/ether947/2008%20thundercats%20calendar/twin_tc.jpg

Remember this is just a draft version to get me started. Which for me is usually the hardest part.

*edited hi-res link*

Reply #40
That's HOT! Do it like that!!

Reply #41
I will have to make sure I buy one this year! Maybe my car will make it in for the following year..lol.

Reply #42

Ummm.... I don't know if you have rooms still, but I think it would be cool to have our 30th and Royce's 30th on a page together.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #43
shoot, I didn't go but if it will look like that I will take a calendar for sure.

Reply #44
Alrighty, I need to get the ball rolling on this thing.

Ok, here's the deal for submitting pics. Your camera needs to be able to take at least a 2xxx (by) 1xxx size pic. I'm thinking around a 5 megapixel minimum. Take the highest resolution pic rated for your camera. I can shrink the pics if needed. That is not a problem. What I can't do (well I can, but it looks bad) is increase the size of the pics. Bigger is better in this case.

You can send me pics via a plethora of ways. CD, DVD, FTP, email, and so forth. If your worried about clogging up my email account... don't. I have about 89% of free space still, which includes all of the pics sent to me via email from last year.

If you want to post your smaller websize pics in the this thread to show off, feel free.

Geez, I cannot believe it is September already. =/

Start submitting!

Thanks.