Skip to main content
Topic: Headliner install?  (Read 1166 times) previous topic - next topic

Headliner install?

I have a week off from work coming up so thought I would work on the bird some.
Any advice or tips on replacing the headliner in my 88? What should I look out for or is it pretty straight forward.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Re: Headliner install?

Reply #1
Pretty straight forward.  You'll need to remove all the interior trim around the perimeter, the dome light, sun visors and associated pieces.  The very front and back metal trim pieces can be a little stubborn ... they are held in with a metal tension/spring clip in the center.  You'll need to apply a little downward pressure/force to pop them out ... Just be careful you don't bend them in doing so.  I have a piece of this trim out of one of my cars now ... I can post a pic later today when I get back to the house so you have an idea of what you're dealing with.

Reply #2
Having an 87 it's even easier for you. Just remove the tops of the sail panels, the trim above the doors, the 3 Christmas tree clips by the rear window, the sun visors, and the dome light. Then the headliner comes right out.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Here's a shot of the clip on the front interior windshield trim.  The rear is basically the same if you have metal trim back there depending on model and year.