Skip to main content
Topic: Forum getting hijacked (Read 1082 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum getting hijacked

This happens with some known Vbulletin exploit. I came here today and received a "MyFilestore.com - Your Free File Hosting" hijack page. For years on random vbulletin sites, if you see this page and go back in the browser, then re-load the compromised forum, the correct page will load. I was using a Google search to search this forum and clicked on one of the results, then received this page.

Just a heads-up - there's an issue on the forum host that needs to be addressed. I've seen these specific hijack on various sites for many years. It's server-side, not client-side ,so anyone that sees this hijack page shouldn't think their own computer is compromised.

A useful post on the topic: https://internetlifeforum.com/vbulletin/3071-vbulletin-redirection-hack-infection-only-one-time-google-fix/
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Forum getting hijacked

Reply #1
Interesting, I'll have to let URLJet (our host) know

*EDIT* Just submitted a support ticket
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Forum getting hijacked

Reply #2
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;458908
Interesting, I'll have to let URLJet (our host) know

*EDIT* Just submitted a support ticket

Good to hear. I see such a thing once every few months during web searches and clicking-through a link to some random vbulletin forum. If you search "MyFilestore.com - Your Free File Hosting"" on a search engine and click though any of the links, you can often see the hijack page on some random compromised forum once, then if you load the same result again, the actual forum page loads.

I think I first saw such a hijack on the autogeekonline forum some 5+ years ago. Thing is - it's not easy to spot as a forum owner. Once you know how to reproduce it though, it's consistent.

How to reproduce:

1. Load https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afoxtbirdcougarforums.com+foglight&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
2. Right-click on a search result and open in a private window/incognito

The hijacked page always appears this way.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Forum getting hijacked

Reply #3
Yup.  Happened to me as well.  Twice this week.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!