Skip to main content
Topic: How to do a AC delete on a 5.0 (Read 3577 times) previous topic - next topic

How to do a AC delete on a 5.0

I want to take the whole a.c. out of my 88 tbird. Is there a bracket a can buy to do this and not have to remove/ relocate my power steering?

Reply #1
Not really. You could just undo the lines and leave it in place if a relocation bracket is too much work.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
You can try to find the PS bracket they used for dealer installed AC. Not sure how the belt clearance and wrap would end up so you may want to search some of the mustang forums.

John

Reply #4
Cougar and mustang brackets are a bit different. Would require a mustang bracket along with the new bracket. Won't find a dealer a.c. add on either, all 302 motors had ac.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
It won't work unless you use all the bracketry from the Mustang 5.0, as all of the Bird/Cougar 5.0 sits differently, etc. (closer to the block and heads)..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
I went through the same thing back in 2008. I never was able to find one, so I took all the lines and condensor out, I plugged/caps the fittings on the ac compressor and ran it.

Reply #8
Quote from: 85CougarCobra;459920
You can do something like this:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8511A/mustang-50-ac-eliminator-kit-85-93?year=1993&gclid=CMvq5bOV7dICFRGBswodBJQOHg

Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not as it does move the power steering "up" a little.

You'll need the Mustang power steering bracket to go with that as well.  Cougarbird ones are different. That won't bolt to the Cougarbird one.  Ask me how I know.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;460675
You'll need the Mustang power steering bracket to go with that as well.  Cougarbird ones are different. That won't bolt to the Cougarbird one.  Ask me how I know.

Ta Da! https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9998926/50resto-mustang-power-steering-bracket-79-93-5-0
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
On a side note if you're doing a 5.0 engine swap into a 3.8 or 2.3T car they have all the Mustang brackets available, which will work in a Thunderbird/Cougar  https://lmr.com/item/LRS-10313-K/mustang-engine-accessory-bracket-kit-hardware-7993
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
I'm subscribing to this for when i'm lookingot get the engine back in next fall.

Reply #12
I have an oem original AC Delete bracket with pully I'll never use.

304 772 3411