Skip to main content
Topic: Rack & pinion question... (Read 1691 times) previous topic - next topic

Rack & pinion question...

Ok so from what I've read, SN-95 tie rods are metric and Fox are sae. Also sometimes when people use '99 and up spindles the Fox tie rods end up too short. My question is, is it possible to use the Sn-95 rack in a Fox, and will it hook up to the Fox steering shaft? Thanks.:bowdown:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #1
No, it won't work with the Fox steering shaft Herb...you'd have to get one of those Flaming River adapters.
That what I was gonna do, till I saw the cost, and not really a gain to it.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
the Sn95 inners fit the Fox rack I bought some this morning and they not only fit but the length is what I needed . Obviously you need the sn95 outers to match .

Reply #3
Quote from: ricktjr;365979
the Sn95 inners fit the Fox rack I bought some this morning and they not only fit but the length is what I needed . Obviously you need the sn95 outers to match .

Awesome thanks!! Just trying to make sure everything is gonna work before tearing the car apart.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
Just an update to the thread.  The standard inner tie rod ends for 94-95 mustangs use a metric thread on the inner tie rod socket.  The Cougar/Thunderbird inner sockets are SAE.  In 1995, the Mustang GTS used the SAE thread inner socket and the longer style outer tie rod ends which worked perfectly in my 1987 Cougar when I made the conversion to 5 lug.  I can get part numbers for TRW or Moog if anyone is interested.
Blueprinted 306, Thumper ported Canfield 195's, TLSR Camshaft, custom motor mounts, Parker funnelweb, Pro Systems Carburetor, Tremec 3550 II, 4.30 gears, Moser Axles, Team Z custom suspension with upper relocation brackets and anti roll bar.  At the track I run M/T 26/10's on Weld Star rims.

Reply #5
I'd love those part #'s...my tie rod ends are too short after the 5 lug swap...thanks very kindly!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Inner tie rod is ES3105HD @ 24.99 each and the outer is ES3184 @ 28.99 each in the TRW brand.
Blueprinted 306, Thumper ported Canfield 195's, TLSR Camshaft, custom motor mounts, Parker funnelweb, Pro Systems Carburetor, Tremec 3550 II, 4.30 gears, Moser Axles, Team Z custom suspension with upper relocation brackets and anti roll bar.  At the track I run M/T 26/10's on Weld Star rims.

Reply #7
Quote from: Its1FastCat;367293
Just an update to the thread.  The standard inner tie rod ends for 94-95 mustangs use a metric thread on the inner tie rod socket.  The Cougar/Thunderbird inner sockets are SAE.  In 1995, the Mustang GTS used the SAE thread inner socket and the longer style outer tie rod ends which worked perfectly in my 1987 Cougar when I made the conversion to 5 lug.  I can get part numbers for TRW or Moog if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info. I just looked up the part numbers listed on Autozone, and they list the same part for a 2000 GT
95 Ranger Splash 2.3