Skip to main content
Topic: Starting fresh (Read 22711 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Starting fresh

Reply #45
The end of one story and the beginning of the next. Hence starting fresh. The shell will be gone tomorrow.

Reply #46
Calico left today. The guy who picked it up knew me and the car from high school 12+ years ago just kind of funny I made my mark with that car and alot of people knew me and associated me with tbirds.

Side note the redhead got a nose job and cataract surgery. I wasnt the biggest fan of the lx nose and I have 2 decent tc noses with lights figured why not. And I found the rustiest part of the car. The lower core support is pretty fugly but still surprisingly solid.

That's the progress for today

Reply #47
That rust isn't bad at all. Grind it down and paint over it with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or POR and you'll be good to go.

I'm guessing front suspension is next? Looks good with front lights.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #48
You are correct, front suspension is next. I'm going to start that this weekend at least the removal of the factory stuff to make room for all the new goodies. I was going to start that project but decided to do something a little easier the lack of headlight lenses and the front bumper being ate up pretty good was driving me crazy. Granted the front cover thats on there now the paint is cracked and chipped but at least the plastic isnt eroded. And it doesn't have a front plate bracket

Reply #49
Ordered the correct front control arms today. I hope to have it somewhat together this weekend with the incorrect control arms just to have it together. And so I can start running brake line and all that assorted nonsense. I have to dig through my box tbird interior stuff and find the firm ride, premium, antenna switch panel for my line lock switch then i should be ready to do the pedal swap and all the other tedious stuff.

Hopefully have it at an alignment shop soon so I can drive this under powered monster

EDIT: the front control arms are on backorder until the 26th of next month! Oh Lord that sucks

Reply #50
I've got some stock FCA's if that's what you need (but I bet you want soemthing aftermarket..) ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #51
Lol I wish it was that easy but nooooope. Can't fit factory arms on my Maxitelli kmember :rollin:

Reply #52
Well on the bright side you've got a month to slowly swap K-members   :biggrin: .
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #53
True statement

Reply #54
More and more this car amazes me with how easy its coming apart.

Kmember is out in under 3 hours. I love my 20v dewalt 1/2" impact.

All thats left to remove for this chapter of the build is the motor mounts which also, very surprisingly, are both intact and the sway bar to make room for my TC bar.

A little coat of good primer and back together she goes with all my goodies.

Reply #55
And shes in! Now I cant do anything else under the front end until the control arms show up except put the sway bar . My next project is the booster/ pedal swap along with other various interior pieces like the stereo stuff and fixing the window clips putting the trunk back together with the fuel pump access panel

Thats all for another day though

Reply #56
Did you add a spacer between the K-member and the frame rails?

Reply #57
Yeah I put 1/2" spacers in.

Reply #58

I can't remember but is the spacer needed for the Maximum Motorsports K-member to fit the Thunderbird/Cougar chassis?

Reply #59
On a thunderbird/ cougar yes. If you look at the lower mount the way the kmember is shaped right there there would be some major interference. I should have went with a 5/8 spacer but 1/8 isnt going to hurt anything seeing as its measured in and square within 1/16"  and the rear mounts need opened up quite a bit to fit correctly