Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7 (Read 5386 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8" swap SN95 vs Lincoln Mark 7

88 sport with a turbo coupe 8.8" in it now. Want to go to 5 lug swap. SN95 axles are the same length as turbo coupe but the Lincoln Mark 7 axles are 3/4" longer then the turbo coupe axles (i know I will have to swap calipers and hardware). I am looking from a stock Mustang 5 lug wheel option (2007-2009 GT500 wheels) at this point for best fit into the rear wheel wells. I see some people have to use wheel spacers with the Mustang SN95 rear axle swap to make the wheels sit properly.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #1
I'm curently mid-swap into putting an SN95 8.8 under my 87 T, to run 09 "bullit" wheels.  i'll let you knowwhat i find out

Reply #2
So any SN95 rear axles (8.8 & 7.5 as they are the same  axles) will work with the SN95 swap.  If you already have the TC housing then just go to a salvage yard and tell them you want from the axles out on a 94-98 SN95 V6 Mustang (dust shields and all) and they will sell it to you unlike the axles out of an 8.8 housing.  Same width and the brake parts for an SN95 Mustang are a bit more readily available and have a lot more aftermarket support than the Lincoln.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Quote from: Aerocoupe;466414
So any SN95 rear axles (8.8 & 7.5 as they are the same  axles) will work with the SN95 swap.  If you already have the TC housing then just go to a salvage yard and tell them you want from the axles out on a 94-98 SN95 V6 Mustang (dust shields and all) and they will sell it to you unlike the axles out of an 8.8 housing.  Same width and the brake parts for an SN95 Mustang are a bit more readily available and have a lot more aftermarket support than the Lincoln.

What do you mean aftermarket support? Are you saying that I get more options of rear brakes with a SN95 then a Lincoln? Right now the axles I have are 31 spline so I will have to buy either 31 spline SN95 axles or replace the spiders to 28 spline. I am looking to the Lincoln Mark VII parts so I can put the wheels on without needing 1" spacers on the rear. With the SN95 being the same axle length as the TC it will just be a 5 lug swap but not the length I am looking for.
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Reply #4
That’s what I am saying.

Reply #5
Well, he wants the axles to be longer then stock. Stock length is 94-98 mustang. Longer length is 99-04...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
I want to say that the later Mk7 rear brake stuff (91-93?) is the same as the TC brakes. Different rotors/calipers, etc.

The difference in width between the 94-98 SN95 width and the early Mk7 is closer to 1/2" per side.

99-04 Mustang axles are longer, but the housing is also much wider.

Seeing as you have to find or order axles, why not have some made with the longer length you want and fab up an adapter bracket to move the brake caliper attachment outboard a bit and use the more up-to-date SN95 rear brakes, or reuse your TC stuff?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #7
With regards to the OP wanting longer axles, go SN95 and get wheels with the correct offset and problem solved. No need to complicate things and have a mix and match parts nightmare for a rear end.

Reply #8
There's probably multiple ways to do it.

He's already got 31-spline axles, as he's done some work in the diff, so he's doing to need to get new axles anyway to go to 5-lug. That, or he remods his diff to accept other 28-spline axles.

To me, coming up with a spacer to correct the rear brake mounting is a minor thing. Especially if it avoids having to use the antiquated Lincoln/SVO rear brakes.

I don't know what the wheel offset of the wheels he wants to use but *maybe* using a 99-04 rear axle assembly would put things in the proper spot. The stickied post regarding axles/housing dimensions has the measurement info for those assemblies.

Reply #9
Good read, not sure it answers the question but some good info.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1089223-mark-vii-cobra-brakes.html

I can vouch for Chris Neighbors. This guy is a millwright and one hell of a machinist/fabricator. He rebuilt my T-5 back in 2007ish when I lived in SE Texas and I have abused the hell out of that trans.

Reply #10
The wheels I have are 17" 98 GT rims front and rear. I just did not want to use spacers but going through the all the work to do a Lincoln diff and only use stock Lincoln parts may be a going backwards thing even though the rears rotors are vented 10.5". I have SN95 front 95 spindle/hub and 99 calipers and rear axles/calipers/rotors from a 99 also. Maybe I just need to upgrade to 31 spline SN95 axles and use a 1" spacer?

Reply #11
Quote from: Aerocoupe;466696
Good read, not sure it answers the question but some good info.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1089223

I can vouch for Chris Neighbors. This guy is a millwright and one hell of a machinist/fabricator. He rebuilt my T-5 back in 2007ish when I lived in SE Texas and I have abused the hell out of that trans.

Link no good. Says page not found

Reply #12
Quote from: 86caprirs;466706
The wheels I have are 17" 98 GT rims front and rear. I just did not want to use spacers but going through the all the work to do a Lincoln diff and only use stock Lincoln parts may be a going backwards thing even though the rears rotors are vented 10.5". I have SN95 front 95 spindle/hub and 99 calipers and rear axles/calipers/rotors from a 99 also. Maybe I just need to upgrade to 31 spline SN95 axles and use a 1" spacer?

I've got 17" x 8" 95 Cobra wheels(Same dimensions as your GT wheels) on my '83 with 245/45F - 255/45R tires. 94-98 axles, etc.  1" more track per side would probably require me to roll/trim sheetmetal.

Reply #13
Link fixed.

You can run these spacers with no issues:

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Wheel-Spacer-bolt-on-5-lug-pair-choose-thickness-25-45-mm-P872.aspx

All I can say is that the Mark VII rear brakes are specific and there is not much aftermarket support.  The 94-04 Mustang rear brakes have a ton of aftermarket support.  I am pretty sure that the brake bias is not good with the SN95 fronts and the larger Mark rear calipers.  SN95 setup is 66mm front with a 38mm rear.  Mark VII is a 73mm up front and a 45mm in the rear.  If you run a 66mm up front and a 45mm out back your brake bias is gonna be really bad even with a manual proportioning valve.  Been there done this and all I can say is try to stick with how the factory set the brakes up and do not mix and match if you do not understand how brake bias and ratios work.  You have to start factoring in the MC bore size as well and want to end up with around a 3.2:1 ratio or so. A smaller ratio means a shorter, firmer pedal. A bigger ratio means a longer, lighter pedal.

Reply #14
Personally, I would run the SN95 width axles with spacers. You can find people selling aftermarket axles fairly easily. If you decide that you want a change of pace with wheels, you can remove the spacers, and get an SN95 wheel that will fill out the wheel wells very easily. If you run longer axles, it will limit wheel options.

With that said, years ago, I used the 91-92 Mark VII axles, brackets and rotors. The calipers, abutment brackets and lines are the same as the TC. It was a nice fit with the wheels I had, but if I wanted anything wider than a stock wheel, I would have been pushed out of the wheel well.

It's Gumby's fault.