Skip to main content
Topic: '85 2.3 turbo exhaust system! (Read 1679 times) previous topic - next topic

'85 2.3 turbo exhaust system!

Was wondering if the 87-88 exhaust systems would bolt up to an '85 motor?  I believe the cat is different and the 85 didn't use duals, but I want duals it! I'll be using my own lers and my own cat, if the stock 1 isn't welded up to the piping.  Let me know, fellas.

Reply #1
Have you looked at http://www.stinger-performance.com ?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #2
From the looks of it, the 87-88 wouldn't cut it:
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #3
It would be better for performance to have a local ler shop fab you up something... 3" from the turbo to converter,3"to a Y pipe then dual 2.5's all the way out.

Shouldnt be more then 200-250.00 out the door
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #4
nirvana what exhaust system is that?

Reply #5
Looks like it's from the Walker catalog.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
Stock exhaust setup from both the '83-'86 and the '87-'88 models, Walker branded.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #7
hmmm... i think i have that, minus the cat.

Reply #8
Yeah just get something aftermarket...the stock '87-88 system is definitely nothing to write home about. The downpipe is around 2.5", the Y-pipe sucks, and tailpipes crimp down to about 2" in almost every bend. Get something like stinger's downpipe and Y-pipe, and then have a ler shop make you some nice 2.5" tailpipes.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #9
wait a sec... i know that bird. i see you finally made it over here. are you old enough to drive that Bird yet? :D

Exhaust

Reply #10
Thanks guys.  I didn't think it would work.  I did see and have that Walker exhaust setup printed out.  That's what my concern was.  I think this guy near me is going to fab me up a complete exhaust system for like $475.  I have to bring the t-bird to him tomorrow to have him get a better look.  I think he's going to make exhaust.  I don't think he can bend 3in pipes, so my largest stuff would be 2.5!

Exhaust

Reply #11
Darkthunder, that stinger site is sweet.  I'm thinking about seeing about ordering this..."Mustang or Turbo Coupe 2.3 Turbo 3" Dual Exhaust Mandrel bent aluminized steel exhaust system for Turbo Coupes and Mustang Fox Body turbo cars.  3" downpipe and intermediate pipe that splits into dual 2.5" tubing for dual lers.  This goes from the turbo outlet to the lers.  You supply the desired lers and tailpipes.  lers should be 2.5" offset inlet/offset outlet style which is the stock configuration as well. ~Off-road Use Only (no catalytic)".  I'm going to see if they can send me photos of the exhaust to see if I can cut a piece out and weld up a cat. converter.  It needs to be legal with legit stickers so I need a cat.

Reply #12
2 1/2" tail pipes are MORE than enough if you are going duals.  A better option since you are going to have something do a bunch of fab/fit work would be to buy a set of Mustang tailpipes and mod them to work.  Unless the guy can mandrel bend the 2 1/2", you're better off IMO.
You can then have the guy add the bit to the back with whatever tips you like.
I haven't been under an '85 in a while, but they should have dropped the dual fuel pump set-up by then.  If not, you will have to relocate your fuel pump, or convert to a single pump set-up.  Even if it's a single pump set-up, you may need to move your filter.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #13
I don't know if the tbirds in 85 had a different setup then the Cougars but in my 85 XR-7 I had to re-locate the fuel filter to allow space for the second ler.

Reply #14
Hey 85turbotbird, I have that stinger exhaust on my car...I have a pic on my cardomain page, however mine is a little different because it's one of the first ones he ever made.

When I did my exhaust I got that ($250), two Hooker Maximum Flow lers ($120 total), and Flowmaster Mustang LX tailpipes ($99) that I put extensions on to make them long enough. The Mustang tailpipes fit fine, but they need about 11" more on the ends of them to reach the bumper on '87-88 cars (I used a shorter extension and some 3" stainless tips). Also, the factory hanger on the driver's side tailpipe is useable (there is a hole in the frame directly above it so you can make something work), but the passenger side hanger hits the fuel filler neck and the gas tank, so it has to be cut off and ground down, and you'll have to improvise a hanger for that pipe. Not a big deal really.

Oops, I just realized I typed all that, and you have an '85 so it might be different. Well...just keep all that in mind as it may be a factor. You'll still need extensions on the pipes, just not as long.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip