Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Bird intermittent engine shut down***SOLVED (Read 9781 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 88 Bird intermittent engine shut down

Reply #45
ok... that value is not really "known".  i would think that it would be though ,, at least a range not to exceed X volts.

so what do you suggest we test next?
we even made sure the A I and S terminals did not have continuity with each other and we even extracted them and manuallly slipped these onto the regulator.  eliminating the connector itself.

Reply #46
i think i know how to remedy this issue,,
i need to sweep our yellow white wire temp down to the output stud so that the battery can be seen on the output stud....

currently the yellow white is home run up to the starter relay per stock config

Reply #47
I don't understand which end of the yellow wire you are planning to move.

Reply #48
Do you have another alternator you can try?

Reply #49
sorry ,
i had to run and get food for the dear ol' wife

ok,,
i plan to keep the yellow white terminated to the starter relay,, and also jump it down to the alt output post,, only when we do a load bank test to load down the alt.

I want to put load on it externally to verify the car still works fine when the alt is under load.

no we do not have another alt to try

Reply #50
That will work.

Reply #51
oddly convienet,, the previous owner put a 30A fuse near the alt in series with the yellow white,, so we are going to temp a jumper off this fuse blade and to the back of the alt.

We will restart the car and then see if the voltage output simmers.

we did pull codes earlier today in the middle of all this...
on demand KOEO=95, 18, 66
memory koeo=21, 94

Reply #52
setting up A terminal jumper now,, then will set up a load,, then start car, then add load.

Mason is saying oddly ,, the car seems to idle rough now.  im thinking i would be to if i was messed with this much.
scott 304 772 3411

Reply #53
hummm..

with a short jumper from the A terminal to the alt out stud...and with the alt output cable disconnected... we start the car (which will now have the car running on battery) we find 200mv DC output.

we shut down car
we ohm from the alt output stud (red meter lead)  to case (Black meter lead) we get a quick up ramp to 30mgOhm then open.
reverse our leads..
output stud (black meter lead) to the case (red meter lead) , we get 2.6mg ohms.

i thought you should have an open ohm value  condition from the output stud to the alt case then reverse your leads and be reading through the diodes.

Reply #54
sorry about the output of the alt where i said it had only 200mv,, mason made a mistake understanding what i needed ... retesting

Reply #55
well ,,, i just discovered i cant isolate the alt output to a load bank,,,, due to how the original yellow white is still in place.. so i will move on.

hooking everything up to normal.

starter relay fully populated.. and alt fully populated with all normal wiring.

Reply #56
ok
we made our yellow "A" terminal loop down to the alt stud.. it is no longer terminated to the B+  of the starter relay.

we also re connected our main alt output wire back

start car... stepping and holding the pedal at around 3k,,, the car acts like it has a rev limiter,,, and recovers , falls on its face and recovers.
alt reads 38A @14.3vdc
Batt reads 24A @ 14.2vdc

we disconnected the alt output and CAR RUNS AS IT SHOULD,, accelerates way past 3k rpm

so we have come full circle

Reply #57
so over the course of today,,
we have been running the car without a filter and thats prob why we had a minor idle issue.

The engine has gotten a lot warmer over these different tests and i think we are close to simulating the situation where mason had to get a tow.

we throw the filter back in of course,, it came out because mason was taking apart wiring harness and such.. so he moved the air box cover and filter out of his way,,, and forgot to get the filter back in.

now that the engine is warmer,,, it is dying after it runs for a little bit.  it dies earlier with a filter and lasts a tad longer without.

so now that we have a dying motor,, maybe the problem will be more revealing....??????

Reply #59
we are focusing on the fuel pump code for a lack of not knowing where to go.
while the engine had just died we tested again from the TFI pin 4&5 (tac and coil batt) and got less than .2 (two tenths) of a volts

we currently have the fuel pres tester hooked up and are comparing the point of when the motor dies and if the fuel pump falls off before the motor...
result=
engine dies first,, then only after the motor shuts down the fuel pres drops to about 35 and then around 30psi.