Skip to main content
Topic: Yeah, that's about right. (Read 1059 times) previous topic - next topic

Yeah, that's about right.

First real snow fall of the year, and my driveshaft broke. At work, on a delivery.

Had a bit of a vibration at 75mph. If I sped up or slowed down, the vibrarion went away. I planned on replacing it, I even have another driveshaft with new u-joints in storage. Oh well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1
Wow. I just suffered an awfully-timed major failure on my winter beater. Shortly after a WHOLE bunch of attention given to it too.
I'll punch through this wall too...but yeah. What the F.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
I swapped my 86 cougar driveshaft in to get it home. The bug deal now is the exhaust. It was rotted out above the axle hump, and the driveshaft messed up everything after the cat. I pulled the exhaust after the cat just so I can drive, its pretty loud.  I also ended up jacking the cat up with a jack, it was pointed down about 30° and only had about 2" of ground clearance.

Gonna steal the exhaust off my 88, which I also stole off my 86, cause its way too loud as is. Snow storm Wednesday, so gonna try to get it done tomorrow. Gonna be a balmy 44°f tomorrow
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com