Skip to main content
Topic: sn-95 v-6 t-5 behind a 5.0 (Read 20126 times) previous topic - next topic

sn-95 v-6 t-5 behind a 5.0

So, I'm sorta in a bind. I was just laid off when my company went under. I am going to montana for work (9 hr drive) and need to provide my own vehicle to get there. I found a 3.8 t-5 for $150 locally. I think I found a way to make the 3.8 bellhousing work.

The 3.8 uses a 164 tooth flywheel with a 11" clutch.
5.0 uses a 10.5" 157 tooth.
The bellhousing puts the starter 1/4" or so away from the fly wheel.

After making some rough mesurments, here is the plan.

3.8 sn-95 t-5 and bellhousing
80's f-150 164 tooth fly wheel. 50oz imbalance same diameter and tooth count as the 3.8.
94-98 v-6 11" clutch kit.
Fox clutch cable.

Not sure if the stock 5.0 starter will work, or if I have to go to the mini starter style. Gonna mock it up on the engine on the stand, mesure the starter compared to the new bellhousing and old auto dustplate.

*edit* update.
Final parts list.
5.0 1987 f-150 flywheel.
5.0 1987 f-150 clutch kit.
92-96 f-150 5.0 manual transmission mini starter.
99 v-6 mustang trans.
1989 mustang gt pedals and clutch cable.

I re-used the stock driveshaft, crossmember, and trans mount from the aod. Reverse lights were spliced into the aod wiring. You will need a connector for the t-5 reverse lights. Try to use a 94-98 transmission. The 99+ had a few differences, although they are stronger. First, there is no where to put the nss wiring. I ended up just jumping mine so it will start with the key. Second, the sensor in the trans for speed won't work. The 94-98 trans should work fine, or one from a 94-95 gt, but the parts list will be diferent for the 94-95 gt.

The v-6 trans uses the larger flywheel and clutch, like the f-150. I am unsure if the v-6 uses the 3/8" or 3/4" offset starter. It would be easy to figure out. You could reballance a v-6 flywheel to 50oz and run it with a standard mustang 3.8 clutch from any parts store. The mustang uses meteic fasteners, the f-150 used standard, which was the reason ehind the f-150 clutch.

Clutch feel is light, everything fit like it was supposed to, and anything not mentioned here has been covered in a bunch of other t-5 swaps. Feel free to ask any questions.

*update*
I have replaced the offset sn-95 handle with a straighter one from a 1989 supercoupe. I will post pictures of the difference after. I also have been using the automatic console plate. haven't gotten around to throwing the upper boot on yet. all 87-04 lower rubber transmission tunnel rubber seal thingy seem to be ideticle. i happened upon a new one at the junk yard for $2. I never did seal the colum shifter hole. I plan to just get a rubber plug and stick it in there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1
Well, some issues so far.

Mustang clutch kit is $164.99, which isn't the end of the world. Mockedup at the parts store and it all lines up. Problem is this, f-150 uses 3/8" thread, 94+ mustang uses 10mm. I'm trying to decide if I want a f-150 flywheel and use 3/8" bolts with the mustang clutch/pressure plate, or try to use one for a ford truck.

There are 3 different 11" clutches available that should match the f-150 flywheel. A stock 5.0 truck 11" clutch, the 5.8 under and over 8500gvwr ones. I don't necissarly want the heavier duty clutch for a f-150, mainly because I know its ment for a md02 trans. The input spline and length is the same between the two.

I'm tempted to see if I can get away with the mustang clutch/flywheel, but use a 3/8" bolt for the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. The f-150 flywheel has no bolts or keepers attached. I'm sort of worries about the bit of play that would be different between the 10mm and 3/8" bolt.

Any opinions?
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #2
According to google, 3/8" = 9.525mm. This is what I was afraid of. The clutch itself will be cenetered, but the pressure plate won't. Should I attempt to drill out and re-tap the bolts to 10mm? Is there a possibility of a 3/8" thread with a 10mm shoulder in grade 8 hardware?
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #3
Right now I'm leaning twoards the f-150 11" clutch. This should center perfectly, just wondering if the throw out bearing is the same. Piolit bearing should be.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #4
Maybe you could find a decent 5.0 T-5 for the cost of all the effort and parts making the other one work. There has to be one near you somewhere.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Sounds like a cluster shag lol

Reply #6
Its what I do best ;).

The trans feels pretty tight and all gears engage properly. I am happy with it, at least till I get it in the car. I'm in it $150 for the trans, $120 for clutch/pressureplate ect and $55 for the flywheel. I'm waiting for someone to call me back off of classifieds with a stock cable.

I've figured out what I am going to do, and going to pick up parts right now.

99 sn-95 3.8 t-5 and bell.
164 tooth flywheel for a 87 f-150
87 f-150 11" clutch kit(should match the flywheel bell and trans)
Couple random bolts, cut a hole in the floor, and swap the pedals.
Fox clutch cable.

Once I have it all mocked up, I'll know if the starter will reach, but rough msurements of the flywheel match the 3.8. If it doesn't fit, I'll fix my station wagon instead and get the fox inputshaft and bellhousing and swap it over when I start getting money in montana, or have it built up for the bird.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #7
I should mention, I am gonna be very careful with the boxes and receipts just incase ;)
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
Getr done and let us know how it gos lol

Reply #9
Should have a good solid update by noonish tomorrow. I'm going to add the clutch pedal first, maybe see if I can rig up the saftery switch to it, the. By afternoonis I'm gonna have a place cleared out in the garage for a bit of warmth and hit it hard by nightfall.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
Does it have a detachable bellhousing? If so I have a regular 5:0 bell in my garage

Reply #11
Does your pedal assembly have the stock quadrant (adjustable? If not, get an adjustable cable.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
IIRC the SN95 t-5 has a longer input shaft than the Fox one, so a 5.0 bell won't work
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
Pedal assembly has the quadrant. It seems to work, but if I have to I'll get an aluminium one. The stock 5.0 would work with a swapped input shaft. Hang on to it, and if I need it, I'll let you know.

Completely cleared out the garage (a major under taking) and going to get bolts for the pressure plate now.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
I actually used the SN T5 in my car with the SN bell (you must use the SN throwout arm) the only draw back to this setup is trying to run long tube headers. It actually puts the shifter back about 1/2 further too.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin: