Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Control Arm Center to Center Lengths?? (Read 2284 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Control Arm Center to Center Lengths??

I have been searching for a bit and cannot find this information.  I know they are longer than Mustang units but how much longer is varying from post to post.  What I would like to know is what is the exact measurement from center to center on both the upper and lower rear control arms?  I am pretty sure that the lengths are all the same from 83-88 but if not please correct me.

Thanks,

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #1
Upper: 10 1/4"
Lower: 18 1/16"
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
That would be great man!

Darren

Reply #3
I'd have to dig up my notes from when we put them together @ KB's.  The uppers are 1-1/8" longer than then Mustang one, I remember that much.  The lowers were something like 3/8", but I'd need to double-check that.

We had stock arms side-by-side when we did them.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Chuck,

If you could do that and verify the dimension above it would be greatly appreciated.  Global West Suspension may have something we would all be interested in but I need the dimensions on the upper C-C to make sure.  They already make a lower specific to our cars but the upper is something Doug at GW wants to look at.

Darren

Reply #5
As mentioned, one of the GM applications has pretty much a direct swap for the uppers in regards to length.

I think that 10-1/4" listed above is correct.  Will have to check later though.

Reply #6
Its not the upper control arm length he is too worried about but he wanted that confirmed.  They make the GM A-body unit already.  What he is looking at to see if it will fit our cars is the SP-47 bearing kit which second down here:

http://www.globalwest.net/1964-72_Chevelle,GTO,Olds_442,A-body_Rear_tubular_control_arms_and_braces..htm

Granted their stuff is more expensive than the CHE parts but it is another alternative.  I have their full length subframe connectors and seat brackets on both my cars and really like them.

I also have the Griggs LCA's on my T-Bird but the do not offer the UCA's as they run the panhard bar or Watts and torque arm on their cars.  I have full three inch exhaust and am not too sure I can snake the tail pipes through a panhard bar and tail pipes will not make it through a Watts.  The other thing is I do not want dumps so this is why I am looking onto their UCA with the SP-47 bearing kit.

Darren

Reply #7
Well that's a totally different thing than overall length.

The SP-47 is just a matter of seeing if it fits the Ford rear housing bushing ears.  They should have Ford rears sitting around that shop to compare. 

As far as the "sleeve" width goes, the GM-A-Body stuff is the same as the Mustang uppers, so no mods would be needed to the spacers on the bearing.

Reply #8
I do realize that but he was not aware that GM A-body UCA's would work on our cars. He asked if I could get the C-C length so he could double check it. I was just helping the guy out. He is confirming the bushing and sleeve data on his end.

Darren

Reply #9
I'll look for the info when I get home, but like I said, IIRC the 10-1/4" is the number, or close enough to it if you're using an adjustable arm.

Reply #10
Very much appreciated!  Is the information on the bushing/sleeve lengths posted here somewhere or is that just general knowledge?

Darren

Reply #11
It was checked a while back (years ago when the A-Body stuff came up).

2.4" comes to mind.

Reply #12
I run a spherical bearing similar to that on my rear end but I forgot where I bought it from. They work well though! No squeeking, binding or wheel hop ever. The handling is very predictable unlike other rubber and poly bushings.

Reply #13
Chuck,

I want to run their upper adjustable control arm.  Doug emailed me back today and said that they make a kit that is the right length (I am assuming he is talking about the spacers on each side of the bearing in the UCA) and they will have to change the bearing.  They are going to assign a part number of TBF-88 for the upper adjustible control arm.  I shot him a link to this thread so hopefully that he can check the site out and see that there is a following with these cars.  He is still checking into the rear end side bearing kit.  Hopefully they can make it all work as I really think this will be the way I go to complement the Griggs lowers.

Andrew,

That is good to hear as it just looked like a really good design which would relieve the binding of bushings.  This should really wake the rear up on the car and allow me to plant more of the 5.8L's power if the tires will take any more.  May have to burn them up and upgrade to some Nitto 555's or the like.

I will post up on what Doug finds out on the bearing kit for the rear end side of the UCA's.

Darren

Reply #14
Well we are getting closer!  Doug needed to know what the width measurement of the "ears" on the rear end.  This would be where the upper control arm bushing mount on the rear end.  My Coupe does not use the UCA's and I had removed the bushings.  I went home at lunch today and jacked the car up to measure the width with the calipers and got anywhere from 0.935 to 0.945. Hopefully I will know something on the bearing kits that mount in the rear end early next week.  I am definitely going to buy their UCA kit and hoping they can work out the bearing kit for the rear end.

Darren