Skip to main content
Topic: Stupid Phone Lines..... (Read 2391 times) previous topic - next topic

Stupid Phone Lines.....

I've been fighting this problem with my Dialup for the past couple of days now....  I've been able to connect and surf fine,, but about 2 mins go by then I'm dead in the water......  I suspected a phone line issue as these problems started after the computer had been moved....

I thought to myself...  I've got a $50 set of crimpers....  1000Ft of Cat5e and a whole bunch of RJ-11's.....

Guess what.... some good phone lines can actually improve dialup performance!  So in the next couple of days I'm going to replace all of the basic 4 wire phone line with Cat5e and run it all to a 66 block in the POP in the basp00get...  And I'll be burnin rubber with 56k.... hahaha
One 88

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #1
I felt your pain about 4 months ago, Claude. There was static on my phone line...I tested everything, couldn't find one thing wrong in the house. Called SBC/AT&T and they sent a tech out. Of course he couldn't find anything wrong, even after checking all inside lines and devices. Still had the problem...so I called them again, they sent another tech out, but he was late and had to finish the job the next morning. He was out at the pole as I was leaving for work. In the end, there was indeed a problem between the junction on the pole and my house. And since they had to reschedule the appointment to work on it, SBC gave me a $20 credit.

So yeah...on a good night I can now connect at (are you ready for this?) a blazing 33kb! I've hit 41kb a few times during the daytime.  It feels like...well...exactly like a non-HO 5.0, come to think of it. LOL

Anyway, hope ya get it all fixed up an' stuff. :)

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #2
I dont think i could ever go back to dialup...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #3
Its unbelieveable how many people still use dial-up. If I was stuck with dial up there would be a murder homocide, first the computer then myself.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #4
I didnt know they still sold dialup...

It should come with phone service.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #5
In my situation...the township where I live is between a major city and the state line (in other words, the ass end of the county). It is considered a rural area...we are attached to a town below us with the phone system, and that town is very small (~2500 people). Rumor has it that the town will be getting DSL soon. Since I live 5 miles from the main phone center in that town, though, it doesn't look likely for me. As for cable, we were just able to get cable, PERIOD, in 1990. Digital cable? Bah. Maybe in my lifetime. That would require a total restringing of all the poles. Unless a major carrier like Time Warner or Armstrong takes over the current cable company, we will never see fiber optic cable out here. I opted for a dish for my TV viewing and love it.

So that's why I am stuck with dial up. Don't like it, don't want it, but don't have any choice whatsoever right now.

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #6
I wish some of our customers here were as intelligent as you guys and didn't call us screaming about how shiznitty our service is when it's the phone lines that are to blame.

Eric -- I can't believe you called the phone company and they actually came out and fixed the problem.  Verizon is the only phone company where I live and they don't do anything to improve line quality here.  Some of the lines here are 15-20 years old and were installed when GTE was still around.  Verizon is the worst company when it comes to serving their customers.  They only guarantee line quality good enough for voice transmission, which is only 9,600 bps.

We do have DSL here though which is good.  I've had a 3.0/768 connection at my house for around two years now and it is SWEET.  The best part is that it's 100% free.  There are advantages to being the tech support manager for an ISP. :D

You guys without broadband choices will get it probably sooner than you think.  Only 22% of connections in the US are still dial-up.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #7
Only 22% of connections in the US are still dial-up.

And I guran--tee you if it's ever 1%, I'll be in it. I love where I live but modern things like broadband are just not in the works for us anytime in the foreseeable future. It's the price we pay for no crime, peaceful neighborhoods and one hell of a view of the nighttime sky. Anything that needs done over broadband I do at work (my boss actually told me to help use up our monthly bandwidth allowance...okay, no problem! LOL).

We did hear rumors that AT&T was going to wire us up with fiber optics. That's what one of the phone techs that worked on my house told me, anyway. A neighbor called them last month and was told we'd have DSL by the end of July. Sheeyah, as if. The cable company just got bought out again...something like 7 different companies in 15 years. They've been screwing up everyone's bills royally. If they can't even do that right, I seriously doubt they'll care enough from the main office in California to string some fiber optic lines for us out in the ass-end of Ohio. Like I said, living out where I do, you get used to getting the shaft from the Man. That's probably why I ended up owning Fords. :D

AT&T (formerly SBC) has been fairly good for me. I have them for home phone, long distance, cell phone (they own Cingular) and Dish Network (via special package through SBC). Everything gets put on one bill...saves me like $20/month doing it that way. So for that much money, they'd better service my shiznit right. ;) Now if I lived 3 miles to the east and right over the border into Pennsylvania, I think we would have had Verizon. Haven't heard enough about them to say 'good' or 'bad', honestly. I do feel comfy with AT&T though.

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #8
I was gonna comment on at&t/sbc but cant remember what my point was :p I sold internet to you guys for almost a year and now 4 months after I walked out I cant remember shiznit about who does what where lol
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #9
Well Here is a baseline for my current phone lines..

says 68k throughput  and average for dialup is 70-80k..... odd numbers.. but as long as I test with the same place I can see an improvement...

Just need to locate a 66 block...I've already got the punchdown tool...
One 88

Stupid Phone Lines.....

Reply #10
Ok, lines are not run yet but I've been dicking with speed tests..

Showdown..

Both external Serial modems

Modem #1 USR 56k v.90
Modem #2 Cendyne 56k v.92 (I think)

Speed tests done at Toast.net

With the USR and using the built in USR driver in XP

I can only obtain a throughput of around 68k with the USR Modem.

The Cendyne with the proper Conexant chipset drivers I can obtain speeds off 77k throughput with the same exact test criteria.

Now the same Cendyne with the "standard 56k driver" in windows I can hit 90k with the same test criteria.

So the cheapy Cendyne with the basic built in driver obtains the best speeds... and I tested each combo like 5 times.... the results are an average.

I'm going to try and flash the USR to a V.92 if the site ever becomes available again. Its been unavailable for a couple of days now. I'm going to search for another driver for the Conexant chipset in the Cendyne.
One 88