Skip to main content
Topic: Video Editing Software (Read 2271 times) previous topic - next topic

Video Editing Software

Anyone know of a good, easy-to-use video editing software package?  Since I got a TV Tuner card for my PC, I've started recording the 80's sitcom Mama's Family (anyone watched it?)  Anyway, it's on TBS from 6-7a.m. Monday thru Friday.  Anyway, I schedule it to record for a straight hour.  Of course, you'll realize I need a way to separate the two episodes and cut out the commercials, probably put 'em all together on some DVDs.

I tried the Ulead program but it kinda baffled me... anyone got any suggestions?  I'm sure Eric or Alex can point me in the right direction (as long as it's PC software).

Video Editing Software

Reply #1
I've used Adobe Premiere before and it's pretty good stuff. It works on the principle of drag and drop, timelines, etc. You can put transitions and whatnot in there. Nice stuff. It's as close to Apple's Final Cut Pro as you can get in the PC world (FCP is used on virtually all major Hollywood releases).

Now I am sort of doing the same thing as you, Brian. I record shows on my Dish DVR. But there is no Ethernet port on the receiver...the only way I can get those shows onto the Mac is to play them on the DVR while re-recording them into a TV input box. It's a long story but at least it's digital-to-digital. Anyway...they can get re-recorded in one of 9 different formats. I choose an MPEG-4. They save as a Quicktime file, then since I have Quicktime Pro ($29), I can edit out anything perfectly and save as an MPEG-4 again (or MPEG2, whichever). From there it can be burned as a DVD. To me, a $30 price tag is a hell of a bargain to be able to do editing right in Quicktime. But not everyone uses or likes that program. I don't know if there is an equivalent in WMP. But I'm sure there are some decent, low-cost PC apps out there to let you do what you want to do. I usually check http://www.download.com for that stuff. HTH

Video Editing Software

Reply #2
Try Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video.. or it might even be made by Sony and not Sonic Foundry. That's what I used when I had to do video editing.. I find that It's a lot easier to use then Adobe Premire and is still an excellent piece of software.

Video Editing Software

Reply #3
i have only ever used premier for video, easy, and you can add codecs for what ever format you want. I really dislike quicktime, and don't use wmp much either. There is alot out there.. just look around.

Video Editing Software

Reply #4
Well, I got the Sony Vegas Video and for some baffling reason when I imported the video (captured as avi files) it only pulled the audio from 'em.  But, my dumb ass figured I'd go ahead and edit it, and then save it.  Well, after cutting commercials from one full show, I went to "render as..." and it's just giving me different audio formats.... this is a downloaded copy, though, so I might give Premiere a try.  Now I just have to find a version that'll work with Win2k.

Video Editing Software

Reply #5
5.5 works with 2k. it's old, but does the same things, that is what I have, just don't ask where I got it.

Video Editing Software

Reply #6
Heh, same here on my 'sources'.  I downloaded what I thought was 7.0 then I find out it's Premiere Pro, which is a no-go for XP.  I look around the folders a bit and I found an older version of Premiere, which looks like it's going to work, along with 2 or 3 other Adobe programs.  Yikes!

Video Editing Software

Reply #7
Ok, Premiere is doing the same thing Vegas Video did.  And I can see it's because Premiere does not have an Mpeg-4 codec installed.  How Might I do this? 

And, is it just me? Or is it strange that an Mpeg-4 encoded file is saved as a .avi?

Video Editing Software

Reply #8
I use Pinnacle Studio myself.  I'll have to check if it uses MPEG-4 or not.  First I've got to find the software and re-install it.  I re-did my computer and need to re-install.