Skip to main content
Topic: comp help! (Read 2983 times) previous topic - next topic

comp help!

well i have a laptop i have been building up got everything i think. but when ii try to turn it on it doesn't fire up. now i don't know if i have a processer in it or not. now where would it be located? and just fyi it is a dell latitude xp. thanx for the help everyone.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Re: comp help!

Reply #1
not sure about laptops, but the processor should be a large chip with heat-sink on it and a fan. when you turn it on, does nothing happen?

Reply #2
yup nothing happens. so i don't know if it has one or not and where it would be located.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
If I were you I'd do a search on Ebay for the model of laptop you are building. If you luck out you may find somebody selling a motherboard that has a pic of it. If you could see a pic of it and imagine how it would mount in the chassis you should be able to see where the chip would go
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
i shall do that thanx for your help. but if verything is there what would be my prob with it not firing up?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #5
Could be a bad power supply, a dead motherboard, a bad battery, or even a bad power switch.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
thanx ill check it out

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #7
The CPU on a laptop is generally close to whatever area of the laptop has the most holes in it for ventilation.

I hate servicing laptops. Just dissected one yesterday. Ugh.

Reply #8
ok than this one must not have one but i know it needs one to operate. so im back to square one. trying to find it. no vent holes on it at all.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #9
No vent holes at all? is it like 10 years old?

You can't run a laptop these days without some sort of air induction. Even that laptop I worked on yesterday was only a 900 MHz. CPU, and it had to have a heat pipe and a fan. My own Athlon 2000+ laptop has about the same ventilation as that 900 MHz. one, but has a bigger heat sink inside.

Hell, I think even my last laptop, which had a 100 MHz. CPU, had ventilation.

Reply #10
The cpu on my laptop is located under the keyboard assy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
Dells aren't too terribly hard to fix tho the pain is getting the thing open to work  on, after that it's cake. You're gonna have to disconnect the lcd screen and pull the keyboard/keyboard bezel off. One that's done look at the back of the laptop for vent holes, there have to be some, once you find them looked for a hunk o metal screwed to the board, it may be on top, tho i doubt it, so you'll have to unscrew the board from the rest off the case. It should be there. If all else fails and you can do it, take some pics of it and post them. It'll help us help you!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #12
i will when i get some time and the cam fixed and whenever i can have the comp free due to everyone here whanting the  thing. sorry just venting my frustrations of living at home. but i will do what i can withe verything elts i have to do.

Got that fox rash again!