Skip to main content
Topic: Building A System (Read 4060 times) previous topic - next topic

Building A System

Reply #15
The user ratings at NewEgg are usually a reliable indicator of the product, but not in all cases. Based on the reviews, I think you will be fine so long as you do not get a lemon.

You will probably need a few extra fans. Never hurts, plus you can get newer and quiter fans too. Front and side drawing air in, rear and top exhausting.

I have read a bit about the new ST game. Looks pretty good. While I have not been much into RTS, I do get into RPG and FPS/TPS games. Current addictions are: World of Warcraft broken up with healthy amounts of F.E.A.R., sneaking around in Splinter Cell and just blasting away with Half Life 2 and Quake4. :) Every now and then, I thow in some cop action with the older Need for Speed series.

Building A System

Reply #16
it's all about the 120's

they are quieter move more air, and they just look cool..

i need to update to, hope I can splurge with the tax money for that.

Building A System

Reply #17
Quote from: Funky Cricket;103782
it's all about the 120's

they are quieter move more air, and they just look cool..

hehehe... I got a 120 for you :grinno:

Fan Info: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2519/fan-22/YS_Tech_120x38mm_Fan_-_125CFM.html?tl=g36c15s60

Sound: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/05YSTech120x38mmFD1212387B-2R.mp3

I got one of these. You DO NOT plug it to the motherboard fan header, you'll kill the board! Most fan controllers can't handle it either. 125CFM BABY!

I used a 60mm Delta Black Label (37cfm - highest flow at that time. Oh, you do not put this one to the mb either, lol)  on an Alpha PAL-6045 Heatsink when I was overclocking back in the day. Had an Athlon 700 running stable at 850 (that's a 22% OC!) on an Abit KT7 Raid.

Sound: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/07Delta60x25mmBlackLabelAFB0612EH.mp3

You won't even notice the fans with your speakers cranked up!

Building A System

Reply #18
Looks like a solid build; $700-$800 is definately AMD X2 territory (as opposed to Core 2 Duo systems for ~$1000+).  But I would recommend that you get an AM2 setup instead of a socket 939 setup; you'll get more upgradability from it (I hear AM2 stull will support AM3) and DDR2 RAM will give you a slight nose ahead.  7600GTs are great budget cards, but you could get a much stronger, longer lasting 7900GT or 7900GS for ~$200.  No major tweaks needed, though.

Building A System

Reply #19
PC upgrading is allways a technology  shoot. New stuff is comming out or being announced regularly. There will allways be the question of waiting or not, getting the mature archetecture or the newest, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, it all depends on what you are going to be doing and what you are willing to buy (within your budget). The only difference between 939 and AM2, aside from the socket, is the memory controller. 939 is DDR, AM2 is DDR2. Sure, DDR2 is twice the bandwidth (4 bits per clock as opposed to 2 bits per clock) and speed, but the latencies are higher and so is the cost. 939 systems are not memory bound when used for general purpose and gaming. They are CPU bound for the most part (depending on the type of chipset used, etc.). I have seen many tests from reliable hardware sites that show this, even when using a top end vid card. Unless a user is into system crushing, bleeding edge chock full of eye candy FPS games (like I am), they are unlikely to hit the limit of their CPU (CPU bound). AM2 will be the same until they up the CPU specs, which I do not see as happening (at least as far as FSB speed is concerned - which would mean a new mainboard anyway). From what I have read in recent weeks, AM2 and AM3 are likely to be incompatable sockets. What AMD is doing is manufacturing a CPU coded K8L sometime early next year. The K8L will run on AM2 while allowing DDR2 or DDR3 memory to be used (not to be confused with GDDR3 memory). I have yet to find 100% confirmation that the sockets for DDR2 and DDR3 will be identical. AM3 is currently expected to be DDR3 only and is scheduled to be released in 2008. By then, you'll be ready to upgrade anyway, especially if you are a gamer. Besides, all that could change depending on how AMD fairs against Intell's upcomming Conroe.

To deepen the mix, SATA drives used on PCI controllers can, and do at times, saturate the PCI bus. This is why you see chip sets with direct northbridge links to SATA ports. While not a gurantee, chances of bus saturation are reduced. Heck, in 2 years, we might see 3rd gen SATA using an on die controler (like AMD's memory controler)!

Then we are off and running on the topic of vid cards. To start, NVidia has been doing R&D on a flip-chip design for GPUs. This means that instead of a big add-in card, you have a socket just like your CPU and the possibility of having it's own memory slots. Think of the possibilities there. Just the thought of FPS and MMORPG games that can take full advantage of a quad core CPU, a boat load of DDR3 memory, a quad core GPU with it's own heap of GDDR3 memory gushing out onto a 32"+ wide screen display is almost enough to give me a woody and land me in Divorce Court! As for vid card choices, the 7900GT or GS are also good choices. However, 2 things will happen. 1) There will be an additional $100 or so for the card. 2) A different PSU will be needed due to how power hungry these cards are. So you can add another $75 to $100. That's really pushing the upgrade over budget (he has allready upped his budget a few bills). To hedge against the possible need for more graphics power, it would be better to get an SLI board. Going with a board like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186059 he can still stay within budget. Since the 7600GT cards are not as power hungry (they do not require their own power connector), he can add a second one when they drop to the $75 to $100 range next year and still (quite possibly) use his current choice of PSU while saving him atleast a bill, maybe even a bill and a half!

Building A System

Reply #20
but the latencies are higher and so is the cost.

My point exactly.  I've let you guys talk me up from $430 to $708.  I will go no higher.  :grinno:
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Building A System

Reply #21
GreyWolf, I definately like the idea of an SLI board so he can get a 2nd 7600GT down the road.  I hear that they're one of the best cards to use in SLI (as fast as a 7900GTX sometimes if my memory serves correctly).