Skip to main content
Topic: 347 0r 351 (Read 6213 times) previous topic - next topic

347 0r 351

does any one know if a 347stroker fit in a 1987 ford thunder bird that has an original 5.0 or any other engine bigger than a 302that would fit

Re: 347 0r 351

Reply #1
a 347 is a 302 block that is just bored out, or made bigger by drilling out the holes. A 351 wil fit with out any major modifications. You could even fit a 460.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
347 is a stroked 302 and so is 331.
good thing with them is they use all the same stuff as a 302 so u dont have to change anything to fit it in there.

351W and C will fit as well.  351W is a bit easyer but u still need headers that fit a 351 into a fox.  U need the pan that fits and u have to deal with motor being a bit taller.

351C headers are bit harder to get but they can be found,  same thing u need oil pan and u have to deal with motor being a bit taller.

460 fits but u have motor mounts and headers and pan. That u can get as kit by the way.  U have to deal with booster but if u use a smaller stang one it fits with not much room left.  Still haveto deal with hight of the motor as well as front being a bit longer so u will need a elc fan set up on the rad as well as a bigger rad,  4 core or a good AL race rad.

U can do anything u want.

Reply #3
most importantly, a 347 will run you about a arm, leg, and your first born son. a 351w on the otherhand can be taken out of a 93 truck, rebuilt and installed for maybe just a arm. the 351 is also heavyer.

Reply #4
yeah but your forgetting one thing a 347 will walk away from a 351 all day long and most 351's are dogs  mostly just extra weight unless you redo the whole thing a cam .30 over and new heads up the comp. and then you need the headers intakes oil pan and im not sure but dont the acc. brakets need to be diff. and when it's all said and done you probably spend some more cash and have a 347 that runs like a son of a .  with small changes . like some gt40's and a cam and intake bc stock stuff still sucks but you will have an ass load of tourqe that the 351 cant touch. when it's all said and done. 

the hardest thing about the 347 is the block work . you could also do a 342 a 347 stroker kit that isnt .30 over. it's been done.

i myself was thinking of the 347 but think it may be much for the stang but would have been great in the cougar.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #5
Hmmm.. stock 351 vs. ~$1000 (first kit I found in a quick search was $1150) sunk into a 302 to make it a 347.. and we're calling the 351 a "dog" for being stock. Interesting.

Reply #6
i rather spend the 1150 dollars on a 302 to make a or 347 . than bulid a heavy none flowing 351 with no performance in mind.

at least if you start with a ho 302. performance was kinda in mind. you figure on both motors you have to do block work. so XXX amount of dollars on eather saying they are both in good condition and ur going .30 over.

in my opinion  for the weight and disadvantages of the 351 not being a performer out of the truck or van(unless you get a lightning 351) it would not be as fast or light as the 347/342 with all the stock mustang parts. and you will have azzloads of tourqe out of the 342/347 oh and lets not forget hunting down all the 351 specific swap parts. unless going from a 6 or 4. but lets also not forget how many cars ford equiped with the HO 302 (years and producdtion numbers wise) mark Vll mustang all the way up to 95 from 86. now to me that seems eazier than hunting down a lightning 351 or the small parts.

but what do i know . to each his own thats just my preferance. and someone else may feel different. . i know i know  "no replacemnt for displacement."

Erik (hope this makes sence)
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #7
no, nothing fits in an 87 tbird, the only possible swap is putting a 3.8L in your car, even if it came with a 3.8L, no other V8 will fit, ever, none, dont think about it, its too much work
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
347 vs. 351

If you’re considering extra cubes, then chances are you’re wrestling with a fairly common dilemma: Do you build a 347 out of your 5.0 or step all the way up to a 351? Perhaps the following info will help you decide.

351W: Advantages

• Strength: The 351W block is stronger than the production 5.0 by a long shot. Thicker walls and 3-inch main, and 2.311-inch rod journals (versus 2.248/2.123 for the 5.0) are contributing factors.

• Taller Deck: The 351W features a deck height of 9.503 inches versus the 5.0’s 8.206 inches. This means a longer rod can be used for even more cubes—up to 435 with a production two-bolt block, and 454 cubes with a four-bolt FRPP block, according to George Klass at Coast High Performance.

• Rod-to-Stroke Ratio: In stock configuration, the 351 has a better rod-to-stroke ratio than a 347 (1.70:1 for the 351W versus 1.58:1 for the 347) by virtue of its longer rods (5.956 versus 5.400 for the typical 347 rod). The 347 also features ½-inch head bolts instead of the 302 block’s 7/16-inch bolts.

351W: Disadvantages

• Size: The 351W is 2.250 inches wider than a 302, necessitating a number of changes (at additional cost) to make the swap possible. Hood clearance can become an issue, and there will be less room to service the plugs.

• Heavy Weight: The 351W is beefier and is typically more than 100 pounds heavier than a 302-based engine.

347: Advantages

• 302-based: The 347 is created when a 302 block is bored 0.030 and fitted with a 3.400 stroke crank and custom rods/pistons. This means a 347 has the extra cubes you desire, yet it can still use the same headers, manifolds, brackets, and so on as a stock 302.

• Light Weight: The 302-based engine is more than 100 pounds lighter than the 351 in stock form, and it can be made downright feathery with a few aluminum components.

347: Disadvantages (and perceived disadvantages)

• Limited Growth: While 347 ci is certainly a respectable number, it’s the practical displacement limit for a two-bolt-main production block.

• Limited Strength: A two-bolt-main production block is typically capable of withstanding up to 600 hp, and that’s with a girdle, studded mains, and so on. Even a mildly built 347 with a supercharger can bust that figure. An R302 block will solve the problem, but there goes your budget.

• Poor Rod-to-Stroke Ratio (perceived): There has been a lot of talk about the 347’s rod-to-stroke (R/S) ratio. Simply stated, the R/S ratio is the length of the connecting rod (center-to-center) versus stroke of the engine. A higher ratio means the piston stays at top dead center longer, promoting better combustion and, theoretically, more power. Compared to the 351W’s 1.70:1 R/S ratio, the typical 347’s R/S ratio of 1.58:1 doesn’t look good, but it’s actually better than a lot of other noted performance engines, including the 454 big-block Chevy (1.53:1) and 400 small-block Chevy (1.48:1). Even the legendary 428 CJ was only marginally better than a 347 at 1.63:1. Unless you’re building an engine to compete with Billy Glidden, R/S ratio really doesn’t add up to much in an otherwise well-built engine.

• Oil Burner (perceived): Piston design is critical to the success of any 347 kit, according to George Klass at CHP. Trying to improve upon the 347’s R/S ratio only moves the pin further up into the piston. If the pin is moved up into the oil ring land, the top of the pin will be located above the oil ring, allowing more oil to get past the oil rings and into the combus- tion chamber. This is how the 347 got a reputation as an oil burner. However, George says, many kits—including CHP’s—place the pin below the oil ring, so oil consumption is not a problem.

Cost Factor

The next thing you’d probably like to know is, which would be cheaper, a 347 or a 351W? As discussed, the 351W requires numerous extra parts to accomplish the swap, while the 347 doesn’t. However, depending on what 347 kit you purchase, the initial short-block may be more expensive than a 351W. Since we can’t know what combo you have planned, the best idea is to add up the cost of a 351W, factor in the extra parts, and then compare that to the cost of the 347, keeping in mind both engines can use the same heads. Our guess is that the 347 will probably be less, but depending on how serious you plan to get, a 351W swap could be equal to, or less than, the cost of a truly serious 347.

Reply #9
Quote from: Tbird232ci
no, nothing fits in an 87 tbird, the only possible swap is putting a 3.8L in your car, even if it came with a 3.8L, no other V8 will fit, ever, none, dont think about it, its too much work

Shawn has the right idea.  Glad you cleared it up, Shawn.

Reply #10
That is right, If you are that gay...  You can't be a mechanic..  Plus the 4 cylinder was a tight fit, you should stick with a 200cc dirtbike engine.
One 88

Reply #11
get a beefed up hampster and a good hapster wheel, then weld that bitch to the imput shaft. you'll do burnouts all day with that combo :p

Reply #12
Quote from: Manson
get a beefed up hampster and a good hapster wheel, then weld that bitch to the imput shaft. you'll do burnouts all day with that combo :p

works for the Honda guys...

Don't forget your Type R stickers as well, otherwise it'll be just a regular hampster  :crazy:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
Quote from: Tbird232ci

?? ??
did i miss something,, you would not mind PM'ing me on that would you?

Reply #14
works for the Honda guys..Don't forget your Type R stickers as well, otherwise it'll be just a regular hampster .

yeah i hear those hampsters are running crazy numbers at the track. but i hear they run dual for the real performance nuts at the track.  twice the hampster power !!!!