Skip to main content
Topic: looking for help wiring 5.0 swap (Read 1138 times) previous topic - next topic

looking for help wiring 5.0 swap

Hi I have swapped an 89 5.0 HO into my 86 T coupe and was looking for insight on wiring mustang engine/computer harness into stock t coupe.  I have an entire 1989 LX that I transplanted the motor t-5 and computer into my Thunderbird already and I purchased wiring and vacuum troubleshooting manuals for both cars, but could not find complete wiring in them. 
    I am confident that this is a swap that has been done many times and hope that some one could help me out  PLEASE    Thanks

Reply #1
Was the 86 T-bird originally a V8 car?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
No it was a turbo coupe sorry I should have referred to it as such and not a t coupe

Reply #3
You'll need to find the engine harness from an '86 5.0 Tbird/Cougar, unless my memory is bad and the '86 cars were CFI, in which case I'm uncertain what you'd want to do.

Don't try to modify the Mustang harnesses as they're not worth spending the time on, though it has been done. If all else fails, and you can't find the proper Tbird harness, use it as a last resort, but you'd better be really good with wiring.

You might even try an '87 or '88 5.0 Bird harness, but likely will need some repinning done, as well. Good luck.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;441026
You'll need to find the engine harness from an '86 5.0 Tbird/Cougar, unless my memory is bad and the '86 cars were CFI, in which case I'm uncertain what you'd want to do.

Don't try to modify the Mustang harnesses as they're not worth spending the time on, though it has been done. If all else fails, and you can't find the proper Tbird harness, use it as a last resort, but you'd better be really good with wiring.

You might even try an '87 or '88 5.0 Bird harness, but likely will need some repinning done, as well. Good luck.

86 5.0 harness is fine. 86-88 5.0 Thunderbirds/Cougars were all SEFI. Last year for the CFI 5.0 was 85.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Some connectors will be different, as well as sensor hook ups ect.

Getting a 86 couagrbird harness makes it basically plug and play.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com