Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Fan Questions (Read 1877 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric Fan Questions

i bought a basically new 16 inch electric fan with all the wires and toggle off one off my buddys for my truck but have been debating on putting it on or not

the way i plan on hooking it up is direct wiring from it to battery to toggle or i may hook up an inline fuse havent decided everyone i kno havent used inline fuses and theyve been running them for 5 or 6 yrs

is this 16 inch fan enough for my 5.8 efi?
will it make any hp, acc. or torque differences?
is it worth putting on, a friend said hed do it for free
thanks in advance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #1
Well, one thing that I have noticed with some Mech fans, is that they tend to lock on first startup so you get a roaring sound until you get a little temp, so the electric fan eliminates that, so it's quieter.  It also allows your engine to warm up a little faster, as the mech fan is always pulling some air through the radiator.
As long as you install the fan correctly (Don't leave too much air gap between it and the radiator) and you have a properly functioning radiator a 16" should do just fine.

Unless it's a really shiznitty fan, or one hell of a toggle switch, you CANNOT run the current for the fan directly through the switch, as most Efans draw 15-30 Amps continuous while running and up to 60 Amps on start up. Use the search function to find the wiring diagram using a relay and a temp switch to do it right. Summit Racing sells the whole fan controller at a pretty reasonable price.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #2
i dont want to run it on a temp switch
just an inline fuse
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #3
At the very least you'll need a relay to handle the amperage instead of the switch. You wire the switch to the relay, and the relay to fan.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #4
i kno atleast 6 ppl. who havent used relays and work just fine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #5
As far as I know everyone HERE(And that's a lot of people) that has done it, used the method with the relay.

As long as it isn't a normal 2-5 Amp toggle, and it's rated for the amperage, then fine.

But if the wiring melts down, and your car catches fire, don't say I didn't warn you.

BTW, the fan swap has been covered in depth on this forum, try searching for the answer to your other questions.

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #6
why would you not use a relay? its not much tougher or more money. and that will save you one day when the switch gets burned up and you have to drive home with no fan or worse yet, overheat the switch and a fire. those people either got lucky or just haven't used it long enough yet. theres a reason why high load devices get relays. its your car, but i'd never trust that without a relay in mine.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #7
i only say this out of love, but don't half-ass anything like that. jrad235 speaks troof!
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #8
for my electric fan setup i used one relay two 60 amp fuses and a super heavy duty switch and heavy duty wire. because i learned my lesson on cheap parts. i had a cheap toggle switch after 5 minutes of use it started melting the wires and the switch. if i was you i would use a relay and maybe a fuse or two to aleast not burn your car down. if you dont you might as well start caring a fire extinguisher in your car.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Electric Fan Questions

Reply #10
I wouldn't wire it up without a relay.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver