Skip to main content
Topic: Exhaust Question (Read 1531 times) previous topic - next topic

Exhaust Question

Reply #15
Get yourself a little tin can to putter around in then. Save the guzzeler for those speshul occaisions :)
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Exhaust Question

Reply #16
I have gotten over 30mpg several times on the freeway with my v-8 bird. Back in the day my old 86 cat had a clogged catilitic converter and they said that that is why it wouldn't pass emissions. I punched out the honey comb in it, and it got even better then it did with the same cat several years before it.

You don't need a small engine to get good gas mileage, although, it definitely helps, and a cat isn't always better for emissions. City I drive under 40mph with less then 10 minutes drive time generally and can get over 17 city.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Exhaust Question

Reply #17
I have a 95 f-150 5.8L 4x4 and I am only running shorty headers with the dual factory cats on it and no ler. It sounds pretty good to me.I want to cut them off too and do a y pipe to a 3" cat back. But I don't think I will get better gas milage or better performance.The Cam kinda kils ya there.

A guy at work with a 460 in his 97 f-250 took out the cat and it sounds pretty good.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Exhaust Question

Reply #18
this might be late but, the loudest exhaust i did on a car so far was shortie headers, 2.5" pipe with no cats, mac prochamber, and flowmaster single chamber lers. having true duel exhaust or a cross over makes it louder then having a y pipe, and having the pipe get bigger as you go to the end makes it louder too, like a trumpet... anyway with that combo on a mark VII i'd set off car alarms everywhere lol. the only thing louder was when i ran nothing but my long tubes, or my friends car with true duel straight pipes... but that sounds like poop with no cross over imo.