Skip to main content
Topic: Question on 87 5.0 T-Bird Sport (Read 885 times) previous topic - next topic

Question on 87 5.0 T-Bird Sport

Question: Can I take a roller cam from a 87-88 Mustang GT and put into my 87 5.0 T-Brid sport? Do I just have to change the firing order of plugs and injectors? or are there other changes required. I want to stay speed density.
Raleigh, NC.

Reply #1
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/ho_conversion.html

that should answer alot of your questions
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #2
While the cam is the "heart" of a HO, there are several other changes the need to be made... First before the cam swap, would be a set of headers and true dual exhaust system(this will add prob 15hp to the SO) ... At that point a HO throttle body, upper intake, computer and injectors should be installed with the cam... AFIC the HO heads are optional, but would add approx 20 additional hp... Only wiring change for speed densety would be swap firing order of the plug wires, no injector rewiring required...

Reply #3
Wow, great info. I didn't realize there was a change in injector size. I didn't really want to swap CPU's. has anyone used the stock 87 T-Bird CPU with the upgraded cam?
I have the shorty headers and h-pipe cat. I just wasn't sure of all the differences between the HO and T-Bird sport motor.
Raleigh, NC.

Reply #4
You don't necessarily need the HO upper intake, otherwise it's all or nothing... It will never begin to run "right" on the stock ecu...