Skip to main content
Topic: 83-86 Front and Rear Bumper Bright Insert - Need Suggestions (Read 912 times) previous topic - next topic

83-86 Front and Rear Bumper Bright Insert - Need Suggestions

So both of the bright / chrome inserts in the front and rear bumper covers on my 83 are getting the yellow look.  Being they are obsolete like most other trim parts on the car new ones are a no go.  Any suggestions on how to refurbish them?

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Re: 83-86 Front and Rear Bumper Bright Insert - Need Suggestions

Reply #1
Didn’t the company Precision Trim Inc., use to make a trim moulding that would work?  Not sure if they even still exist. Also it seems someone on here found a chrome vinyl tape in the correct width years back and could be ordered in various length?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #2
I vaguely remember reading here long ago someone buying some kind of chrome tape (for model cars i think)or something to redo this part since its not available anymore.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
https://www.coolcats.net/restoring/#exterior

BUMPERS (FRONT AND REAR)

The bumper molding for your car (front and back) is formed into the bumper cover itself; it is not removable or replaceable. If the paint on the molding is faded or you see the yellow bumper cover material showing through, then it just needs a simple repaint—see Refinishing below.

The chrome strip—technically called a “rub strip”—is replaceable, however. Finding correct NOS rub strips is pretty much futile at this point, but there is an excellent substitute for them. Under the Sherman Brand, p/n 547-354, is a universal rub strip meant for a mid-1990s Grand Marquis. It is an identical profile and fit for our cars, both front and rear. The only caveat is that the pre-applied double-stick tape is actually on the wrong part of the rub strip. You may have to remove it and reapply using a good (3M) double-sided tape. And it’s missing the factory-style metal clips, which you really don’t need. But that’s it…otherwise it is 100% the same as what we had from the factory. We’ve seen it applied in person and it’s perfect. So this should be considered a permanent solution. You can find it on eBay, Summit Racing, or possibly Rock Auto.

Thanks to Matt for the info.

Reply #4
Found a couple more part numbers for it and are as follows:

1995-1997 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS REAR BUMPER MOLDING
OEM#F5MY17C830A
PL#FO1157218

Thanks for the info and I am ordering a couple to redo both bumper covers.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp