Skip to main content
Topic: Under hood mat/insulation  (Read 975 times) previous topic - next topic

Under hood mat/insulation

Where can I find the under hood mat/insulation for a 85 T-bird. I see some on EBay but not sure of quality. Just curious if anyone on here had replaced them before . I could just delete it but I’m sure the paint underneath wobble that great.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Re: Under hood mat/insulation

Reply #1
I used eBay hood insulation on my '84. Pretty good quality, cuts are just like OEM, I have nothing bad to say about it. It's not 100% the same as original but it's really close.

My only suggestion would be to get brand new clips to hold it in. LMR has ones for a Mustang that are identical to ours, even down to the part number stamped on them.

https://lmr.com/item/PE-974/1983-93-Mustang-Under-Hood-Insulator-Retainers-Pack-Of-14

Reply #2
I used eBay hood insulation on my '84. Pretty good quality, cuts are just like OEM, I have nothing bad to say about it. It's not 100% the same as original but it's really close.

My only suggestion would be to get brand new clips to hold it in. LMR has ones for a Mustang that are identical to ours, even down to the part number stamped on them.

https://lmr.com/item/PE-974/1983-93-Mustang-Under-Hood-Insulator-Retainers-Pack-Of-14

The ones i saw on ebay doesnt have the cutout for the underhood light, did yours come with one?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
Yes, mine did. It was just perforated and I knocked it out. Even if you got one without a provision for a hood light, you could trace from the old one and cut it in without too much trouble.

Reply #4
I will try EBay. Thank you for the suggestion on the clips.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #5
I contacted the company on EBay and theirs does have the perforated cut out. I ordered it and hope to have it in a few days. Eric, I took your advice and order new clips ( push pins) from LMR. 
I am working on multiple things at one time on this car. But I guess that’s with all “ Hobby Cars”.
 S O L D

Reply #6
Update….. I received the under hood mat. I have not installed it yet but it does appear to be be well made. It may not look like the original exactly but will be much nicer looking that the deteriorated one . Shipping was quick.👍
 S O L D