Skip to main content
Topic: Daily drivers take warning. Inspect those struts for Rust ! (Read 1206 times) previous topic - next topic

Daily drivers take warning. Inspect those struts for Rust !

While this is not my daily driver, I do drive my 88 XR7 daily right now.
This is from my 88 Project.
I was backing it into the shop when the front wheel snapped.

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_6239_dbff5dc77caaa1c63b801eaf707d11c8;topic=0

Tore is apart and found this,
https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_6239_bc3962b03fc7157f280b21e16679a376;topic=0

The rest of the suspension is in really good shape.
The car has sat outside the last 3 winters and All I can come up with is that water got in between the steel and the good ol' Canadian freeze/thaw cycle blew it apart.
My daily driver will be coming into the shop after supper and be inspected.
Original 1988 Cougar XR7 owner 200,000 miles and counting.

Re: Daily drivers take warning. Inspect those struts for Rust !

Reply #1
That will NOT buff out....

Bright side; you weren't going down the road at speed...

Glad it's all fixable, for sure.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Rock Auto has some pretty good deals on struts !

Reply #3
Glad it happened going into your shop.

Looking at where it broke it must have been cracked for a while from the rust there.  I will definitely take a closer look at mine after seeing this.  Thanks!
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #4
!!!!  That could have been really ugly.
Mike

Reply #5
Has anybody used a, "Spring Installation Tool, Front Control Arm" ?

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Spring-Installation-Tool-Front-Control-Arm-1979-2004-Mustang-P1232.aspx

What I decided was to replace these 2" lowering springs on the front while it's all apart.

I ordered Springs from Rock Auto.

Just a tip,

Anytime Cougar 5.0 guys go to order something and it shows "out of stock" Just switch to a 88 5.0 Thunderbird and lots in stock !

Not just Rock Auto, anywhere.

Reply #6
That think looks chintzy as all hell. Also, it says it's for lowering springs only. When I put those '97 V8 springs into my Sport those years ago, with the c/a hanging down, I just stuck the top of the spring in it's "pocket", held it there with one hand, and jacked up the c/a with my other hand till it had enough tension to hold. With a stock height spring though, you're going to need a spring compressor. I bought one from oreilly years ago and have used it on probably half a dozen Fox cars, a 2006 Explorer and even my Expedition when did new struts and stuff.

Just take your time, be careful, and mindful of the spring itself....literally tons of potential energy stored when it's squeezed down. Local guy has a nice scar from one that popped out and he'd only barely started putting the heavy on it. I was about 5 feet away working on my own shiznit when it hit him. Sounded like a someone hitting a side of beef with a hammer. Dropped him, knocked out colder than shiznit at the south pole. Cut him up, had a concussion, but no lasting effects save for the scar. Every time I work on a suspension I think of what happened to Steve...he's lucky.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7

"That think looks chintzy as all hell. Also, it says it's for lowering springs only."

Thanks,
I really appreciate the input. I have an offer for use of spring compressors and I will take him up on that offer.

I know forums are not as busy as they used to be but I have made a lot of good connections through forums and gained a lot of knowledge as well.