Skip to main content
Topic: 87 TC Brakes (Read 2883 times) previous topic - next topic

87 TC Brakes

Does anyone know what master cylinder, brake booster can be used as a direct replacement for the Turbo Coupe brakes?
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

87 TC Brakes

Reply #1
I'm *pretty sure* the Mustang SVO master & booster is a direct swap.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

87 TC Brakes

Reply #2
I used a Fox Mustang booster, and an SN-95 MC. I'm swapping the MC to a 93 Cobra piece.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

87 TC Brakes

Reply #3
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I ordered a new 93 Cobra MC and a rebuilt 93 Cobra booster. What else would I need? Will the TC prop valve work? I have 88 LSC rotors and calipers on the car.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

87 TC Brakes

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;465451
I'm *pretty sure* the Mustang SVO master & booster is a direct swap.

Quote from: tommym;465462
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I ordered a new 93 Cobra MC and a rebuilt 93 Cobra booster. What else would I need? Will the TC prop valve work? I have 88 LSC rotors and calipers on the car.

I was under the impression that Mark VIIs used 84-86 Mustang SVO brakes but with the Teves II master cylinder. Hence why I recommended the SVO master and booster, since they were designed by Ford to work with the exact brake setup you have.

The Mark VII front calipers throw a wrench into the situation since they are 73mm, vs the stock TC and 5.0 Mustang 60mm calipers.

If the Teves unit is ping out this is a pricey option: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/remanufactured-2705/brake-systems-16456/abs-parts-16608/abs-pump-and-motor-11240/9e2ea14a0933/cardone-remanufactured-8-terminal-abs-pump-and-motor-assembly/124410/2446157/1988/ford/thunderbird?pos=2
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

87 TC Brakes

Reply #5
Quote from: thunderjet302;465472
I was under the impression that Mark VIIs used 84-86 Mustang SVO brakes but with the Teves II master cylinder. Hence why I recommended the SVO master and booster, since they were designed by Ford to work with the exact brake setup you have.

The Mark VII front calipers throw a wrench into the situation since they are 73mm, vs the stock TC and 5.0 Mustang 60mm calipers.

If the Teves unit is ping out this is a pricey option: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/remanufactured-2705/brake-systems-16456/abs-parts-16608/abs-pump-and-motor-11240/9e2ea14a0933/cardone-remanufactured-8-terminal-abs-pump-and-motor-assembly/124410/2446157/1988/ford/thunderbird?pos=2

The TEVES unit on the car still works but I get a ABS light when I brake, just a blink. Car stops fine. I want to change it out instead replacing with the same brake system which, as you say, is pricey. Are you saying the Cobra MC and booster will not work with the LSC Brakes? Any idea what I would need?

This is all part of my TC remodel project. I also want to get rid of all that extra TC wiring on the drivers side firewall. I'm going to replace all the remaining 30 year old parts. I have to drop the tank to replace the sending unit so I'm replacing tank, pump, sending unit. Brakes are the other part of the list.

Motor is also on the list. Replacing everything from the damper to the plate on top of the intake. My wife was in an accident with my original Sport Coupe which ended up being totaled. I bought it back and parked it in the garage. Found this TC for sale on ebay about 2 miles from my house. Looked like a good deal so I bought it. This car was a "real" basket case when I bought it back in Oct 2003. A guy had started the 5.0 conversion but I guess he got in way over his head. He is actually a Ford Mechanic. Next day it went on jack stands next to the Sport Coupe. Took 2 years to replace, repair, rebuild  near everything on the car. From what I could tell he butchered in a wiring harness, to get it running, from a unknown car. Just glad I had the Sport for parts. And finding this website was a God send.

87 TC Brakes

Reply #6
NATO has a guide on it's tech articles page.

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/techarticles.html
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

87 TC Brakes

Reply #7
Front Caliper Breakdown
87/88 TC, 87-93 Mustang 5.0, and 93 Mustang Cobra all have 60mm front calipers
SVO Mustangs and 84-92 Mark VII have 73mm front calipers

Rear Caliper Breakdown
87/88 TC, 91-92 Mark VII, and 93 Cobra all have 45mm rear calipers
SVO Mustangs and 84-90 Mark VII have the 54mm rear calipers

Master Cylinder Breakdown
87-93 5.0 Mustang MC Bore - 0.8268 (21mm)
93 Mustang Cobra MC Bore - 1.00"
84-92 Mark VII MC Bore - 1.125"

So the OP used 88 LSC calipers and rotors this means there are 73mm and 54mm calipers on the car and this would be typically paired with a 1.125" bore MC.  These calipers are going to need more fluid than the typical 87-88 TC or 93 Cobra set up due to the larger front and rear calipers.

The 1.125" MC's from the Mark VII's and SVO's are dated in that the body and reservoir are all cast metal.  What I would suggest you use is an MC off of a 94-95 GT or 94-98 V6 SN95 Mustang as they have a 1.0625" bore and have the newer style of reservoir and are more plentiful which means off the shelf and cheap.  You will need a 3-2 conversion kit like this one: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Master-Cylinder-Installation-Kit-1993-Cobra1994-95-GT-mc-in-1987-93-Mustang-P673.aspx and you will need an adjustable proportioning valve to set the brake bias.

IF you ever decide to go to the SN95 brakes the SN95 MC will work just fine even with the Cobra brakes.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

87 TC Brakes

Reply #8
Will the 93 Cobra booster work with the SN95 MC ? 
Quote from: Aerocoupe;465507
Front Caliper Breakdown
87/88 TC, 87-93 Mustang 5.0, and 93 Mustang Cobra all have 60mm front calipers
SVO Mustangs and 84-92 Mark VII have 73mm front calipers

Rear Caliper Breakdown
87/88 TC, 91-92 Mark VII, and 93 Cobra all have 45mm rear calipers
SVO Mustangs and 84-90 Mark VII have the 54mm rear calipers

Master Cylinder Breakdown
87-93 5.0 Mustang MC Bore - 0.8268 (21mm)
93 Mustang Cobra MC Bore - 1.00"
84-92 Mark VII MC Bore - 1.125"

So the OP used 88 LSC calipers and rotors this means there are 73mm and 54mm calipers on the car and this would be typically paired with a 1.125" bore MC.  These calipers are going to need more fluid than the typical 87-88 TC or 93 Cobra set up due to the larger front and rear calipers.

The 1.125" MC's from the Mark VII's and SVO's are dated in that the body and reservoir are all cast metal.  What I would suggest you use is an MC off of a 94-95 GT or 94-98 V6 SN95 Mustang as they have a 1.0625" bore and have the newer style of reservoir and are more plentiful which means off the shelf and cheap.  You will need a 3-2 conversion kit like this one: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Master-Cylinder-Installation-Kit-1993-Cobra1994-95-GT-mc-in-1987-93-Mustang-P673.aspx and you will need an adjustable proportioning valve to set the brake bias.

IF you ever decide to go to the SN95 brakes the SN95 MC will work just fine even with the Cobra brakes.

87 TC Brakes

Reply #9
Yes.

87 TC Brakes

Reply #10
I wanted to say "Thank You" for your help. Purchased the Maximum Motorsports 3-2 conversion kit, Ford Racing adjustable proportioning valve, 93 Cobra booster, 94-95 master cylinder from American Muscle.

Planning on ordering the rotors and pads from the link below. Any comments?

http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/premium-dimpled-&-slotted-brake-kit-black-zinc-coating.php

87 TC Brakes

Reply #11
Run don’t walk away from the bling. Get some plain rotors and good pads. Been there and done that and all the slots do is make an annoying sound at low speeds. You will not gain any performance gain from the slots and dimples. The coating eventually comes of (less than two years in my case) and the cost to ship them back for warranty is not cheap. Because mine was a warranty claim so I was going to have to pay for new rotors, pay for shipping the old rotors, and if they approved the claim I would get reimbursed for the cost of the rotors only. I just trash canned them and put new Centric rotors and some Wagner pads. Stopped better with the parts store stuff and the rotors could be turned. That and no money or waiting if something needed to be warrantied out.

Do what you want but I won’t go the bling route again.

87 TC Brakes

Reply #12
Quote from: Aerocoupe;466087
Run don’t walk away from the bling. Get some plain rotors and good pads. Been there and done that and all the slots do is make an annoying sound at low speeds. You will not gain any performance gain from the slots and dimples. The coating eventually comes of (less than two years in my case) and the cost to ship them back for warranty is not cheap. Because mine was a warranty claim so I was going to have to pay for new rotors, pay for shipping the old rotors, and if they approved the claim I would get reimbursed for the cost of the rotors only. I just trash canned them and put new Centric rotors and some Wagner pads. Stopped better with the parts store stuff and the rotors could be turned. That and no money or waiting if something needed to be warrantied out.

Do what you want but I won’t go the bling route again.

Took your advice and ordered normal rotors from DuraGo, calipers and ceramic pads from O'Reilly and Raybestos Pro brake lines from Rock Auto.

Thanks for the help.

Re: 87 TC Brakes

Reply #14
I have an 88 Turbo Coupe rear with discs in the back, The Cobra MC is because of the different bore. It was suggested to me to use by a more knowledgeable brake guy than myself. I have it on the bench waiting. No time yet to get to it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..