Skip to main content
Topic: Help Please. 11 inch brake upgrade gone bad. (Read 8101 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Help Please. 11 inch brake upgrade gone bad.

Reply #45
They are not needed when switching to the 87-93 style spindle for the 11” brakes.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #46
Going to be a bear to drive to the alignment shop like that.

You should get it close(r) to neutral before trying to drive it. Tie rods might be a kind of a pain if they haven't been touched in a while.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #47
going to half ass align it with string method before going to the shop; either that or flatbed it...not going to wreck my new BFG's lol.  Also have new tie rod ends for it on the way, no reason not to at this point.
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #48
Just to clarify, did you loosen the LCA bolts and reset the bushings with the suspension loaded? Would hate for you to spend the $$$ on the alignment and have it fall out later if they were preloaded. Not saying it would happen but again, it’s free.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #49
Problem appears to be solved, gentlemen.  I set the toe with a string and test drove it, it was fine; took it for a full alignment, its all good now.  The camber DID have to be set all the way all the way in on the shock towers, though.  Like I said before, apparently the toe being way the hell out, like it was when I finished the installation, was forcing the camber out when i drove it out of the garage, then pulling it back in when I backed it back in.  No, there was no problem with the steering rack or tie rods, and my control arm bushings are not seized.
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #50
Well, I did mention that the Fox chassis wants to add positive camber to the outside wheel when turning. With it toed in that bad, I'm sure it added a lot of camber to it. It's going to scrub pretty badly going forward to backwards like that.

The bushings were a guess, but it didn't sound like you'd lowered the control arm enough for that to be an issue.

Glad it's sorted.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo