Skip to main content
Topic: wheels fitting nine inch rear end??? (Read 969 times) previous topic - next topic

wheels fitting nine inch rear end???

Cobra r wheels not fitting on the rear, nine inch center hub two big?  Any Ideas on this, I have heard make the hole bigger on the wheel, I have heard have axles cut down, new axles with flat ends, and 3/16 or 1/4 in spacers.

XX

Reply #1
I did some reading on other forums and some people bore the wheel for this issue, what do some of you think?

Reply #2
I personally would have the axles machined down so in the future if you wanted to change wheels again, you wouldn't have to have the new wheels bored out again. just my .02 though

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #3
If he gets the hubs machined down then you run into hub centric issues with the rotor.  I believe brakesrus.com makes a lot of them and may make one for this application.  The adapter ring will keep the rotor centered on the axle  which is how the rim will be centered.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
Ok, let me say this another way. If he was to scribe a line on the hub section just on the outside of the rotor and measured (or got the measurement) on the inside of the center (hub hole) for the wheels, he could have just that section turned down. I didn't make that distinction in my other post. Sorry.

But on the other hand, it probably would be a whole lot cheaper and quicker just to get those specific spacer rings and be done with it.

I remember back when.... when I had run some wheels on a 74' Gran Torino that used the shank type lugs with centering washers (if that's what you would call them) and the center holes were larger than the hubs, man that was a ROYAL PIA to get them centered properly.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #5
talked with a guy here in town that owns a machine shop, he does this and new what I was wanting to accomplish.  He says people run into this trying to mount factory wheels to other cars or trucks, he told me 20 a wheel.  I am going to do this since I got wheels really cheap.  Cause if I want to change wheels later, I am going to take Darrens advice and get rear end out of a 98 gt.  I am going to go 94/95 front rotors too later.

Reply #6
Makes sense. Good luck

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #7
Thanks I will post some pics when I get him to do them.

Reply #8
X
Before

X
After

Reply #9
Looking good :D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC