Skip to main content
Topic: broken studs... (Read 3059 times) previous topic - next topic

broken studs...

well three saturdays later, and about 7 hours of work and I have most of the lugs off. now I have no way to get the parts out without seriously messing up my rim :mad: .
I have the stud and the lug flush with the rim. my problem is I cannot get to the wedge. Is there anyway to take my front brake off without messing up my rim? could I jack the front end of the car up, and dissasemble the suspension and take it off that way?. I could get it off, If I could get the caliper off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: broken studs...

Reply #1
If you take the strut and lower controll arm with it you could pull the whole works off. But theres no way the calipers gonna come off with the wheel bolted on there. Do you have aluminum rims or steel? with just that little bit left you could try torching it off, or if it wont spin much drill it out.

With just that bit left I would get a punch, and a big hammer, and get mad :evilgrin: but then me or the car would get hurt with my luck so thats probabally not the best idea.

Other than that I'm outta ideas  :dunno:  I'm sure someone else here will have a more usefull answer than me  :giggle:

[Ned Flanders]Thats a honeydoodle of a melon scratcher you've got there[/Ned Flanders]
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #2
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!
you got that far with it.  I wondered how you were doing on this , i havent  heard about it for a while now.

If you got that far,, drill out the stud and that will eventually leave only the wedge behind.  good ole center punch and a couple good sharp drill bits. one to start the hole , the other to finsh her off.

you should not have to go very much deeper , like 3/16 to 1/4 inch more id say.  after you get the wheel off, you in there like new swim wear. :)

Reply #3
What the hell?!?!?!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W
What the hell?!?!?!

For those of you who dont know.....

One day I was driving my cougar at freeway speeds(not on the freeway), and I could hear a knocking sound. I had no idea what it was.
    After I got home, I decided that the lugs might be loose, So I tried to tighten them. Two of the studs turn freely, but do not move in or out. My guess is that I was driving with two lugs loose, and the two that broke were carrying the weight.
      Also this is the ONLY PART of my car to be replaced entirely, since I have gotten it. Called up autozone to see if I still had a warranty, They told me it was only for 1 year(I knew I should have sprung for the life time one) And I had called it in, after 13 1/2 months.
Also the rim is steel, and the lug goes all the way throught the rim, Meaning that I will have to drill it out about 1/2"(the width of the rim)
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
You may want to try a rotary file. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I think a round or oval would be best. Then get out your drill and pretend you are a dentist.

Are you saying, two of the studs broke off and the other two were loose?
What parts were replaced, the studs, the lug nuts, the brake disk?

The lug nuts should not go all the way through the rim. If they did they would bottom against the hub and not tighten the rim.

Reply #6
Quote from: softtouch
You may want to try a rotary file. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I think a round or oval would be best. Then get out your drill and pretend you are a dentist.

Are you saying, two of the studs broke off and the other two were loose?
What parts were replaced, the studs, the lug nuts, the brake disk?

The lug nuts should not go all the way through the rim. If they did they would bottom against the hub and not tighten the rim.

I have mainly used a dremel with cutoff wheels. $20 dollars just in the little cut off wheels. The entire brake disk hub, and studs were replaced. I should have replaced the lugnuts, I found one of them to be striped. I used a tap and die set to fix it. I used all of my money to fix the brakes, and never got around to buying new lugs. Also your right they dont go all of the way through, but almost. At first glance it looked like they did. If I would have stopped to think about it, I probably wouldnt have said all the way through. Two studs are still good, and two are no longer attached to the back of the disk(assumeing that is when they connect to, I honestally dont know) but they are still in place.  here is a pic....
by this I mean that the studs turn freely
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #7
A rotary file is the same principle as the dremmel only on a larger scale. They would have a 1/4 inch shaft and be all steel. You would use your regular power drill. I have not bought one in a long time but I would not think they would be more than 3 or 4 dollars.

The studs are not attached to anything. They are a swedge or very tight fit. I would have thought they would break off before they would spin, but maybe I am wrong.

Reply #8
I would use this as an excuse to buy a $20 die grinder & a carbide burr.

Reply #9
Today my dad is headed to the junk yard, I think that  I can talk him into getting me a new rotor, if he does, that would probably speed everything along alittle more.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
guess what? I finally got the studs out. Now all that I have to do is get a new disk brake. I am going first thing tommarow morning. I was waiting for a while to get some more cold chisels that would fit in the hole. I will show pictures when its light out side tommarow
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.