Skip to main content
Topic: oh SH*T (Read 2422 times) previous topic - next topic

oh SH*T

well heres the stoop.... i put some more brake fluid in my master cylender thinking it was low, and it was dreadfully low, i put some in pushed the brakes a few times with the car running then it goes to the floor.... i turn the car off,push the brake and hear a hissing noise and low and behold.... theres a pddle of brake fluid on the ground.... its behind the passenger back wheel, is there a temporary fix or do you absolutely have to put a brand new hard line in? J.B. Weld? hose and a series of clamps? im new to brake lines ive put new disks and poads on the front but the last time i was even around brake lines i was barely old enough to hold a wrench....

so does anyone have an idea what i can do? i dont have to drive it for a while so its no biggy i dont know where exactly the hole was i was just in a hurry today all i know is its behind the pass. R wheel

Re: oh SH*T

Reply #1
Temp fixes won't work.  Rubber hose will burst under the pressure, JB-weld probably won't bond against brake fluid plus it could contaminate the system.

Reply #2
so.... cut the chunk out and put a new peice in?
or rebuild the entire rear brake system?

Reply #3
If it rusted through in one spot the rest is probabally pretty crusty aswell, best way to check is to get under the car and check for any other small leaks or anywhere rust is flaking off the line. It may just be one spot that is rusted through and you will be able to patch it with a new piece of line and fittings, but if the rest of it isnt looking too hot replace the whole thing.

I ran into the same problem this spring with my fuel line, I thought it was just one small leak but the entire line was toast.

I'm not sure how the brake lines are routed on your car but on mine I know the brake line runs under the carpet and out under the back seat if yours is the same you should be able to just replace that section running from under the seat to the hose.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #4
"I'm not sure how the brake lines are routed on your car but on mine I know the brake line runs under the carpet and out under the back seat if yours is the same you should be able to just replace that section running from under the seat to the hose"

what year and type of t-bird do you have?

Reply #5
a 1980, I just spent two days on the botton of an 86 tc removing the rear end and do you think I could remember how the lines were routed?  :shoothead

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=20
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #6
fill the master up.
have someone push the pedal while you peer under the car
look for the leak.
replace what is broke.

If you see the leak on the inner of the tire, its probably a wheel cyl
your brake lines run along the pass sub frame along with the fuel line.

good luck,, if you need the right tools for the job then buy them.  YOU WILL have more brake problems in the future and it pays to have a set of only the common "LINE WRENCHES".  No need to buy a whole set of them.

Reply #7
fixed and now i stop faster than ever man, thanks