Skip to main content
Topic: Traction. (Read 2370 times) previous topic - next topic

Traction.

Those of you with 87-88 TCs (preferably with T-3s) I have a question for you. When do you typically start to lose traction? What RPM, Boost Level, Gear, MPH, etc... I'm trying to loosely gauge how well these MegaBite RLCAs are doing their job.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Traction.

Reply #1
i think that would all depend on the driving/road conditions.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Traction.

Reply #2
That's kind of a hard question to answer.  There are alot of variables in that.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Traction.

Reply #3
I am aware. And neither of you have an 87-88TC so your disqualified! =P

Traction.

Reply #4
what a weird and very vague question.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Traction.

Reply #5
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;147209
what a weird and very vague question.

That's vaguely specific to you mister. ;)

Traction.

Reply #6
im just not understanding your question. are you talking about while launching at the track? taking turns? lots of TC owners can have traction issues if they run too much tire pressure, dont know how to drive, have mismatched spring combos, bad suspension components, etc.  what exactly were you hoping the lower control arms would improve on?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Traction.

Reply #7
Quote from: Ether947;147198
Those of you with 87-88 TCs (preferably with T-3s) I have a question for you. When do you typically start to lose traction? What RPM, Boost Level, Gear, MPH, etc... I'm trying to loosely gauge how well these MegaBite RLCAs are doing their job.

With my old TC on 245/50/16 street tires, side step the clutch and it never had traction in 1st, 2nd, and well into 3rd :D Ask Frank about this :fart: < - should be soiled himself ;)

Drive it normal and it never lost traction ;)

At the track on 26-10.50-15 ET streets, 5200 rpm clutch drop off a two step at 10 psi, it would turn them over one time then dead hook the rest of the way. This was to the tune of 13 flats at 104-105 mph ;)

This all was with CHE control arms and Moog cargo coils. Does this point you in the right direction?

Bob Myers

Traction.

Reply #8
(At the drag strip) I rev to 3500-4000 rpms, feather the clutch out while I start to floor it, but I always get sideways in first. Only 10 psi though. I don't break loose in any other gear.
help any?
I need sticky tires+17 psi... :evilgrin:

Traction.

Reply #9
from a roll in first gear, no traction, from a roll in second gear, no traction. Stock suspension and street tires
It's Gumby's fault.

Traction.

Reply #10
Quote from: Ether947;147198
When do you typically start to lose traction?

In my old 87 TC... In the rain on hwy 405 just past the 522 interchange going up the hill with the cruise control on with bald rear tires at 70 mph over 5 psi. Talk about an exponentially rising pucker factor!

Actually I've got some old notes somewhere where I was experimenting with launch RPMs in that car. I'll see if I can find any of that stuff. Might be some useful info there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Traction.

Reply #11
Quote from: martin0660;147220
With my old TC on 245/50/16 street tires, side step the clutch and it never had traction in 1st, 2nd, and well into 3rd :D Ask Frank about this :fart: < - should be soiled himself ;)

Drive it normal and it never lost traction ;)

At the track on 26-10.50-15 ET streets, 5200 rpm clutch drop off a two step at 10 psi, it would turn them over one time then dead hook the rest of the way. This was to the tune of 13 flats at 104-105 mph ;)

This all was with CHE control arms and Moog cargo coils. Does this point you in the right direction?

Bob Myers

Yessir. :)

Traction.

Reply #12
no traction in first and second. dry road 30 psi in tires
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Traction.

Reply #13
I never seem to lose traction unless im dumping the clutch.  They just dont break loose if im just running up through the gears. Is this normal or should my car have more power than that?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Traction.

Reply #14
The #1 most important thing that decides traction is tires. Different tires, different traction. Most fairly stock TC's with fresh soft compound tires will not break traction easily.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)