Skip to main content
Topic: Wheel widening.... (Read 1942 times) previous topic - next topic

Wheel widening....

I remember seeing an ad for a company a few years ago that did wheel repair and advertised that they could widen alloy wheels. The process was fairly simple, they cut lip off the wheel, added a spacing ring, then welded everything together and remachined the inside and outside of the welds to smooth everything out.

Anybody know what company this was or have any experience with this sort of thing?

Wheel widening....

Reply #1
Stockton Wheels can do anything with a wheel.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Wheel widening....

Reply #2
Stockton Wheel "ONLY" does steel wheels

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/  On the other hand does a great job. I had them narrow my frt wheels.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Wheel widening....

Reply #3
I didn't know Stockton only did steel.They did a set of Pontiac wheels for me (steel) and they were perfect.Thanks for the correction.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Wheel widening....

Reply #4
What do you think a ballpark figure would be to widen my Cobra R wheels (the backs) by an inch?

Wheel widening....

Reply #5
Send them an email and they will give you a quote pretty quickly. I was quoted about $140 a wheel to narrow 18x9s to 8s. I'm sure the smaller the wheel diameter the smaller the price.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Wheel widening....

Reply #6
2FAST4U knows a good place, check these out..

And his site 2FAST4U

His name is Bill and you can ask him where he got it done at this email address DLM_Racing@hotmail.com

2FAST is a great guy, he would love to answer any questions. He could also tell you where NOT to have it done... one place screwed some of his up.
Check out his GT40 build while your there, that is Sooo hot.. better than shag!!
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Wheel widening....

Reply #7
Have you tried http://www.weldcraftwheels.com  ...?

I am going to send (2) 16 inch TC wheels there soon to widen to 8.5 inches so I can run the new (in May 07 )  Mickey Thompson 295-50-16 Drag Radials.

$ 150.00 each last time I checked.  (any width in 1/2 inch increments)
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Wheel widening....

Reply #8
Thanks Guys. I'm gonna have to look into getting a pair of turbines or a pair of Enkies widened 2" on the front side. I knew there was a company that did it. Just couldn't remember who.

Wheel widening....

Reply #9
Deep dish Turbines? I wouldn't mind seeing that.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Wheel widening....

Reply #10
hum i wonder how my lsc rims would look with that done!  this site keeps giving me more ideas!!!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Wheel widening....

Reply #11
Yes, I used weldcraft. They were great.

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.

Wheel widening....

Reply #12
Here is a pic of my '95 cobra wheels that they narrowed 2 in.

Wheel widening....

Reply #13
Had a crazy idea, did some checking....

I remembered the first artical I read on the Lamborghini Countach said the tires were 345/35-15 on the rear. Sombody has to still make a tire for the Countach that's at least Z rated.

Indeed, Pirelli still makes a P-Zero in that size. :D

Unfortunately the only other tire in that series for a 15" rim is a 225/50-15 (The fronts for a Countach). And inch and a half shorter than the sixty series tires that came on the XR-7s. And no other tires by them for a 15" rim thats even close to the same tread patern or Z rated.:(

BTW: Those P-Zeros are over $500 each. :( :(