Skip to main content
Topic: sn-95 v-6 t-5 behind a 5.0 (Read 20139 times) previous topic - next topic

sn-95 v-6 t-5 behind a 5.0

Reply #90
If you find yourself stuck, feel free to to shoot me a text or phone call. 4three5-2two4-9nine68

My name is Kevin.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #91
Thanks Kevin! I actually got the 302 flywheel and clutch for an 87 f150 so it should be correct now. also i only have 2 wires that come down and plug into the trans, one is the reverse light and the other the speedo sensor.. how would i do the neutral safety switch? and also the old starter(big one) only has one wire to it. the new on(small one) has a place for the one wire but also has one already on it, how do i wire that one... to the negative battery terminal? that all i have left to do and it should be done completely! im excited to say the least lol

Reply #92
Both wires from the starter go to the starter solenoid. Like I said, the big wire goes to the post your battery is on, the small wire goes to the opposite post.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #93
I couldn't find my notes on the nss, I'm 95% sure it's oart of the 4 pin connection with reverse lights that went to the aod.

If I remember right, I had a harness from a Stang that split the reverse and nss. On the t-5 it plugs in to the cover plate near the shifter. Then the reverse lights go to its own 2 pin connection near the tailshaft.

Sorry if that wasn't much help, but if you have four wires, two go to reverse and two go to the nss. The two that go to the nss need jumped. You can cut off the connection and stick them together if you don't have the harness.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #94
Ok cool thanks for the help brother! ill get the starter done today, and the trans i have doesnt have the connection on the top, just the two on the side and they plugged directly into the old harness

Reply #95
They one is a speedo connector, that one is in the rear of the trans by the tailshaft. So the other two wires will be the nss. the sn-95 does not use a nss, which is why it's missing on the trans and harness. While the fox did use them.

That's why you need to jump it.

Good luck man.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #96
ok cool. so the last question i have then is how do i jump the neutral safety switch? everything else is done.

Reply #97
I had a plug with a looped wire. You could cut the two wires and splice then together if you don't have the connector.

To do a test drive, you could actually just start the car with a screwdriver...

Make sure the car is in neutral, get a screwdriver or a another long metal tool, and stick it straight acrossed the two big posts on your solinoid by Tuesday battery.

This will bypass the key to start the car.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #98
I dont have any connectors with looped wires. which wires would need to be cut and spliced? i can do the solenoid jump to test it. I guess ill have to pay someone much smarter than i am to do the rest.. Im super frustrated cause i need this car running and cant seem to get it right.

Reply #99
also what about the clutch dump switch? needed or no?