Skip to main content
Topic: Whisky Tango Foxtrot? (Read 1845 times) previous topic - next topic

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Ok, so I get a notification that Winders has downloaded updates and needs to reboot. Nothing out of the ordinary. Until I reboot and am greeted by the MSN Messenger login screen. I do not use, nor have I ever used MSN messenger. I HATE instant messaging. When I'm on a computer I'm on it to use it, and if I want to chat I'll pick up the frickin' phone. So WTF is M$ doing, installing that blight on my computer without my asking it to? This is almost (but not quite) enough to make me wish I'd bought a Mac*. Now, excuse my while I head on over to "uninstall software"...

*Except, of course, that Jobs & Co are even worse for "my way or the highway" thinking...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Reply #1
Do you remember what updates it installed? New Internet Explorer? Wouldn't be surprised if that kinda "bundled" it along. Or something re-activated the service if you disabled it. If you uninstall, it *might* still be there, the icon might show up in the system tray. Just my cynicism talking here as yours is ;) But just do Start->Run, type "services.msc" (no quote marks) and look for Messenger in the list of services, and change the status to "Disabled" and manual start, not automatic.

Also, in Run, type msconfig, and in that utility look for the tab that says "startup" and uncheck "msmsgs" if you see it in that list. That's the autostart for the program on boot. Be sure to hit apply, then OK (might change to "close") and then let it restart. If you havent changed msconfig before, on startup a huge, overly verbose message box will let you know that you changed the startup sequence (really!!!!???) and check the box that will tell Winders not to keep telling you this, then hit OK.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Reply #2
also if you go to the microsoft website for updates... you can check recent updates and look at them to know what is what

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Reply #3
I have updates disabled. If I have a problem and I know the cause I'll update it. Otherwise, waste of time. Everything you download now your computer checks for updates and installs it before shutdown. I used to have to unplug my modem before I shut the computer down when I was at my dad's on his dial up network.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Reply #4
It was and is an optional update I have not done it. I unclick it every time my computer updates.
:ford::oldcougar::mercury: