Skip to main content
Topic: laptop time clock (Read 1782 times) previous topic - next topic

laptop time clock

laptop date and time lagging way behind what is correct even when i reset it.

mother board battery?

if so, what is the proper step by step to replace one correctly?

just R/R it with power off?  something tells me thats not true because i would erase my bios,,or something.

laptop time clock

Reply #1
If you know the location of the battery on the motherboard, then it is a remove and replace job.  If you have spent a lot of time customizing the BIOS settings for your PC, you can use a digital camera to take photos of every page in the BIOS so that you can refer to them if you want to revert to a particular range of settings.  If the battery has already been failing, it is likely that your BIOS settings have reverted back to the default ones anyway.  But they won't be erased altogether.  Then the computer would not boot at all and it would make CMOS battery replacement rather difficult.

You are correct on the proper procedure.  Power down the PC, unplug it from the wall, remove old battery (most likely a CR2032 lithium button cell) and replace it with the new one.  Repeat again in a few years.  :)
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

laptop time clock

Reply #2
If you know the location of the battery on the motherboard, then it is a remove and replace job. If you have spent a lot of time customizing the BIOS settings for your PC, you can use a digital camera to take photos of every page in the BIOS so that you can refer to them if you want to revert to a particular range of settings. If the battery has already been failing, it is likely that your BIOS settings have reverted back to the default ones anyway. But they won't be erased altogether. Then the computer would not boot at all.

The actual replacement of the battery is simple.  Getting to it can be more difficult depending on its location in your computer. Locations of these devices vary from model to model but, in most cases, they can be found underneath the keyboard. Some manufacturers locate the cells in odd places like underneath a mouse ball, touch pad or in the screen frame housing.  I worked on an IBM machine once that actually had the battery under a panel on the bottom.  It was really easy to get to and took only a few minutes to replace.  Hopefully that is the case with yours.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

laptop time clock

Reply #3
Quote from: jkirchman;318066
If you know the location of the battery on the motherboard, then it is a remove and replace job. If you have spent a lot of time customizing the BIOS settings for your PC, you can use a digital camera to take photos of every page in the BIOS so that you can refer to them if you want to revert to a particular range of settings. If the battery has already been failing, it is likely that your BIOS settings have reverted back to the default ones anyway. But they won't be erased altogether. Then the computer would not boot at all.

The actual replacement of the battery is simple.  Getting to it can be more difficult depending on its location in your computer. Locations of these devices vary from model to model but, in most cases, they can be found underneath the keyboard. Some manufacturers locate the cells in odd places like underneath a mouse ball, touch pad or in the screen frame housing.  I worked on an IBM machine once that actually had the battery under a panel on the bottom.  It was really easy to get to and took only a few minutes to replace.  Hopefully that is the case with yours.

Thanks, Getting to it should be no problem since ive been in there twice since 05.  The ever so famous speaker jack intermittant issue as well as key pad issues.

Will change sooner than later.

I didnt know the pc would revert back to oem settings like that.

laptop time clock

Reply #4
Yeah.  The BIOS is usually stored on an EEPROM, which is non-volatile memory.  It retains its basic programming even if it experiences power loss.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0